Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucky Leprechaun’s Whole Hog Wannabe Smoke-a-Thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky Leprechaun’s Whole Hog Wannabe Smoke-a-Thon

We have family from Wisconsin coming to visit tomorrow to stay for a few days. Auntie Janice will be 87 in August so we wanted her to visit again before she gets either too ornery to travel or home bound. We are throwing her a little family soirée on Saturday so I have been in the kitchen all day preparing main courses and desserts.

I am attempting a ‘whole hog wannabe’ cook on my Copperhead 5, using pork belly, pork tenderloins, pork ribs and port butt to simulate good ol’ down east bbq. I did NOT add pork loin or pork shoulder due to time constraints and logistics. I did score some very nice bogo ribs at my local grocery store.

I started smoking today around 8:00 am (all day, in the rain) with the first batch of meats going on at 8:15 am: pork belly, pork butt and pork tenderloins. At 12:45, I put both racks of ribs on, one with no rub to go in the bbq and the other with Meat Church Honey Hog Hot rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	1564329

I used an ACV spritz for the first several hours and also had some mixed with water in my water pan. The Fireboard 2 really earned its keep during this cook. At one time I had all channels working. My life is complete!

As the pork pieces come off the smoker, I shred them and add them to a slow cooker where they get bathed in my favorite down east bbq sauce.

Name:	IMG_2024-03-06-202653.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1564333

This shows the tenderloins and belly in the SC.

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	1564330

So, what, you may ask, does all this pork have to do with Leprechauns or St. Patty’s Day? Since the latter is just 11 days away, that was excuse enough to also cook a pastrami. This guy went on the smoker around 6:30 pm so will be an overnight smoke. The pork butt, ribs and pastrami are hanging out together right now as I await the first two to finish up and get shredded.

Name:	IMG_2024-03-06-195507.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1564328

Did I say desserts? Key lime pie for tomorrow night’s seafood meal and a flourless chocolate torte for other meals.

Name:	IMG_2024-03-06-201356.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1564331

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1564332

More to follow as things progress.

Looking good Wayne! If I had eight hours to spare I'd drive out and invite myself to your house to mooch...I know your dog misses me... :-)

B

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. It ain’t mooching when you have a standing invitation. Yes, Truffles wants you to come visit as well.

Looks Beautiful and Delicious WayneT I'm wishing I was closer.

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      You owe me a visit! Y’all come on down.

Looks great, and I'll be sure to let you know when my birthday approaches. BTW, pork butt is pork shoulder anyway. Oh and Key Lime Pie is my absolute favorite sweet in the world!

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t tell the pig that or he’ll have a serious limp!

Oh my! Wonderful!

Comment

If they hate it I think you could same day mail me that... I know the odds are less than slim, but I figured I'd just throw that out there

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m out to show Wilber’s how it’s done!

Looks and sounds fantastic!

Comment

Excellent all around! Love the color on those first few photos of the early cook! Enjoy the soirée!

Comment

I think I'm your long lost uncle Wayne.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Uncle?! Brother!

Geese Wayne that’s fantastic ​​​​​​ Nice work 👍

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Steve. My own mini pig-pickin’.

[long, low whistle] damn.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun! I love theme cooks. 👍👍

Comment

I took the pastrami off the pellet pooper at 3:00 am this morning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1724.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1564493

I tasted a very small sample around 8:00-ish and I thinks it’s a winner.

Mari Jo and I stayed up past 1:00 am to watch the USWNT beat their northern neighbors, Canada, in the CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinals. It was a thriller of a game that went to extra time and then, penalty kicks. Our women played well.

Not a lot of sleep last night…😵‍💫 … and now we’re driving 90 minutes to pick up our guests. There will be a caffeine stop along the way.

Comment

Flippit everything looks fabulous.
                Safe travels Sir.

Comment

Damn, Wayne. Well done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here