Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most requested Thanksgiving side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year I made cranberry sauce, it’s ridiculously easy. It sat on the table while everyone cut slices from the cylinder.

I think it’s a nostalgia thing. Nobody cares about the taste, they just want the sweet/acid combination.

Comment

I love canned cranberries. My wife finally bought a can for me last year after years of begging. I know, I know...I could have bought my own.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet wife you've got there.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        She's a keeper! She usually makes two different breeds, the candied type and the one with nuts and orange peel.

I'm lucky that my husband will eat either one, canned whole cranberry sauce or homemade. I prefer homemade. I make a big batch of it for the Thanksgiving meal and we polish it off as we eat the leftovers.

For leftovers, we really enjoy turkey wraps with cranberry sauce tucked inside as a condiment.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Turkey sammich made on white bread, topped with cranberry sauce …. Takes me right back to being 10 years old!

I hadn't considered cranberry sauce as a condiment. I do prefer the canned stuff. The canned stuff with whole cranberries in it is even better.

It's all about the turkey and dressing to me. Everything else is just details.
      Last edited by Steve R.; November 12, 2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, I'm already looking ahead to the leftovers now, fzxdoc!

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        "It's all about the turkey and dressing to me. Everything else is just details. "

This. Plus gravy, lots of gravy.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no problem passing on cranberries of any style. I completely agree that it’s all about dressing and turkey though. It’s all I need.

I'll tell you. They were never part of my family's tradition, but ever since I had them in college I just love Green Bean Casserole. I just can't get enough of that. And oddly enough I find the original recipe with canned green beans better than various attempts to use fresh or frozen. Same thing with extra mushrooms.

I do use my own blend of seasonings, bu tother than that I stick by the traditional recipe (something I rarely do otherwise). And I do use lots of the fried onions.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Canned green beans and double the fried onions is how I make it also.

Not cranberries but we sure can put away lots of real butter on whatever bread we have.

Comment

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        I ALWAYS, every year make home made butter for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ours is now cranberry fluff, has cranberry relish, orange zest, marshmallows mini and whipped cream. Really is better then just straight cranberry in a can. Although the wife still has it out for those that want it.

Comment

I personally prefer canned to fresh, and the ridges from the can make a nice slicing guide...

Comment

Canned cranberry sauce over fresh, but not whole cranberries. It makes the perfect New Englander sandwich, cranberry sauce spread on Italian bread with lettuce , stuffing and turkey.

Comment

So I don't like cranberries or cranberry sauce but my wife does. That is the only thing she will make for Thanksgiving.

Notwithstanding that, she also demands that I get a can of cranberry sauce, complete with the ridges to serve alongside the homemade cranberry sauce. I would say most people take both the fresh and the canned

Comment

Canned. Cut the top off, poke a hole in the bottom and plop it on the plate.

Comment

The spousal unit eventually found a delicious cranberry pecan relish recipe using fresh cranberries --- the cooking of said pebbles of tanginess creates a great smell and with enough sugar, pecans and whatever else is involved results in a side that everyone gobbles up. A lot of work, bur really spectacular. We also do a cranberry spinach salad. Both recipes follow.

Cranberry Spinach Salad

1 tbs butter

¾ c almonds, blanched and slivered

1 lb spinach, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces

1 c dried cranberries

2 tbs toasted sesame seeds

1 tbs poppy seeds

½ c white sugar

2 tsp minced onion

¼ tsp paprika

¼ c white wine vinegar

¼ c cider vinegar

½ c vegetable oil
                1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and let cool.
                2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.
                3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.
                I am informed that the relish is essentially this one with fresh cranberries and twice the pecans
                https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2104045

Comment

Makers Old Fashioned with a cranberry instead of a cherry,,,,

Comment

Fresh for me, the kids like either canned or fresh as long as there is some type at the table

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice Brim, Brother!

It's not Thanksgiving without a can of that jellied stuff. I have tried to make fresh multiple times with multiple fails. I know it us easy to make, I just can get it right. And I like the canned stuff anyway.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the key is to add way more sugar than seems remotely healthy or reasonable, lol

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here