Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather cook in a freezer or a furnace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you cook in the freezer, you will spoil your frozen goods... If you cook in the furnace, you're going to stink up the whole house.

Comment

I hate cooking in the heat, but do it anyway. If I didn't then my cookers would sit idle for about 6 months out of the year and that ain't happenin'!

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it’s like 4-6 weeks here and it’s no where near the heat you get, but we have a lot more humidity. I still cook some in it, but no desire to fire up charcoal for steaks in the evening when our covered patio faces west and has been storing up heat all afternoon. I often just grill lunches on the weekend before the sun makes it back there.

I cook in hot and cold when necessary but during coldest days mostly inside. One thing I don't like to do is cook outside in the dark a lot. I just can't see the food as well. Even with lights it's a pain.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the ever-present dark of winter makes it tough.

I cook outside year round. Extremes at both ends can be uncomfortable but I'd rather be in shorts and a T-Shirt. I'd rather be cooking outside unless it's pouring out.

Comment

I'm a "bring on the heat" sort of BBQer. Sundress, barefoot, hair in a pony tail, and Pit Mitts on, tending the grill or smoker, with a beer or other cold adult beverage at the ready.

I'll cook outside in the cold, but I don't enjoy it. Since I don't trust frictionless surfaces, cooking in the snow and ice is out of the question.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 23, 2021, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Even with a covered patio I’ve shoveled many times to cook in winter. Luckily, we don’t get a lot of ice though.

Give me heat. When the temp gets below 50 or so, I become a shivering whiney wimp. I still cook outside, but I complain...

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee I moved here for work. I was in PA before this - I worked construction and moved around a lot when I left Detroit. At first I laughed at what they call cold down here. But slowly over the 25 years I have been here something happened to my tough gene, and now I am messed up. I spent a Christmas in Detroit around 15 years ago and I wouldn't leave my Mom's house.
          Last edited by klflowers; July 22, 2021, 05:08 PM.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I guess I become a sweaty whiney wimp when it gets over 90. I’ll cook outside down to single digits or even a little lower if it’s not too windy. I’ve done below zero before, but don’t plan on cooking outside when it’s that cold unless it’s for something special. Things just seem to not work as well once you start getting that cold and my cooking often involves electronics.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy, when I lived in PA right before I moved down here, I regularly fired up the kettle I had back then in the snow. We lived in a townhouse complex, and when we moved in we were the only ones with a kettle. A year later, all of my neighbors had one. It was just grilling back then - burgers, brats, chops, chicken and tough dry ribs hidden behind lots of sauce.

I chose fair weather because of where I live. If the highs crack 90( not very often) it's considered a hot day and if the highs don't crack 80 (not very often) it's considered a cold day. Not going to pretend that I'd BBQ in 20 below in the middle of a blizzard!!

Comment

Honestly, I’d rather cook in freezing weather than in insufferable heat (I can dress for the cold; undressing for the heat might get me arrested ). That said, I still have a strong preference for moderate temperatures, mild breezes, and precipitation viewed from indoors.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Now you're talkin'...

K.

From late April to mid November I cook outside 75 percent of the time from mid November to late April, I cook outside when the weather allows, it has to be pretty decent weather in winter. I’m not opposed to super cold winters. Just not relaxing to cook in it, and I do this as a relaxation practice.

Comment

I have cooked in below zero weather, and in fact probably smoke more in winter than summer.

Comment

I like food... I live in super humid country, grew up in super hot (but not humid country), and have spent more years total than I would like in ungodly hot and ungodly humid at the same time country.

I don't care about the heat or humidity, but my preference is for sub 50 temps solely for the reduction in bugs

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                The flies around here seem to be on cocaine this year. They fly around so fast and never seem to land for more than a second before taking off again. I’ve fallen asleep holding a fly swatter waiting for one to land long enough to even swing at it. No bugs is definitely a plus.

I have plenty of clothes that will keep me warm in the cold, but zipity squat that will keep me from dripping like a St. Bernards jowl when it's over 75°. I'll take the cold please.

Comment

Having cooked and brewed beer in all types of weather my preference is anything but the wind. I definitely prefer the heat though. I’d rather be hot than cold because it’s more enjoyable to drink cold beer in hot weather with no shoes on while sitting on my outdoor furniture basking in the smells of my future deliciousness than it is when it’s cold out.

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Couldn't have said it better.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man, you got that right.

I voted "My grill is like a show car and is only run on the finest of days". Bit of a trick answer as the weather here is mostly mild year round. A few days in the low 40's and a few days/weeks is the mid 80's. Heavy/moderate rain or high winds, when they happen, stay inside.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It won't let geographically exclude votes for those lucky enough to never see freezing or triple digits =)

Here in the gray northwest "it could rain a bit"! I don't like it but I do cook in it. Prefer warm and sunny, but have cooked in a parka when I lived in Chicago.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here