Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating in the '50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up in a small town in 50’s & 60’s and remember when Chef Boy R De Pizza in a box showed up. It was heaven come to earth.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Chef BoyOBoy....better than starving but not by much.
      They're tomato sauce still has a funk all of its own to this day.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup.

How bout dat La Choy Chinese food, as well???

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones chop suey all day!

While in high school in the mid to late fifties I got on a health food kick and persuaded my mother to buy me some yogurt (available but unflavored). It was terrible. I tried to get my sisters to eat it to no avail. I then put a dollop on the dog's food. She ate all around it.

As for elbows on table, I heard a great line in a British TV show set in the early post-WWII days: Only cooked joints go on this table, soldier.

It was a bit of a culture shock for me when I moved to Texas 40+ years ago and saw how many guys sat at the table wearing hats, even in nice restaurants.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan
      Even worse, I was at a wedding not long ago, and the groom and all of his groomsmen were running around in the church with their bull rider hats on. They did take them off for the ceremony, but they went right back on once the service was over.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      That wouldn't have flown for a second in my dads house. That hat comes off at the door. I was raised by a real cowboy. We worked cattle on horses. My dads friends were mostly Wagner ranch cowboys from around Dundee, Tx. They were the real deal and not a one wore his hat in the house.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Hat --->>>Door--->>> Icy stare!!!
      "Is yer head cold, Boy???"

Parmesan came ONLY in a green can
    Iceberg was the only lettuce
    Mom pan fried them skinny pork chops to death, chicken too
    Spaghetti was an exotic meal, as was chili--no pizzas ever where I lived
    Chinese food?
    Mexican food?
    Taters with most every meal
    Veggies--yep, mostly canned. Still can't abide canned peas, fresh peas from the pod were a revelation when I finally tasted 'em
    Boiled hot dogs--the folks didn't even own a grill until after I left home
    Cream of mushroom soup, tomato soup, bean with bacon soup too. Campbell's of course
    Mom did broil steaks instead of pan frying 'em and she did make great pies--apple, pecan, lemon meringue, huckleberry,...
    Balsamic vinegar?
    Arugula?
    Crusty bread?

I loved it at the time...but I don't want to go back. Sorry, Mom.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ten-Rodger...

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Boiled hot dogs hit a nerve here!!!!
      Boiled or broiled no meat went un-tortured at our house.
      Had BBQed Dogs at a buddies house, hey, these are good, I'll make them at home!!!!
      You'd a thought I spit in the Popes eye when those dog-dogs hit the grill, my old man lost his marbles....I work to hard for you to be wasting food like that....man he was mad.

Fried bologna was brought up a couple of times. In reference to the monkey helmets, I remember being shown how a slit or three would keep that from happening. First time I did it, I thought I was really sumthin, cuz I was learnin how to cook.
    As Oak Smoke mentioned, there was no goin to any kind of restaurant. Weren’t any. There was a broasted chicken carry out place, but it was to expensive.
    When I was on a grade school basketball team we went to an Italian restaurant in Garden City,(MI. a little west of Detroit) and was introduced to one of my early loves, a cheese & pepperoni pizza. I strongly suspect it may have been Mike Illitch’s original place (Little Ceasar’s fame).
    RonB mentioned Coke, couldn’t afford that, not when R C Cola was available for 2cents less.
    Playing cards in spokes of yer bike? Nope. Wouldn’t hold up, but baseball cards of some rub dub that ya had doubles of would. There were 4 cards that we coveted, Mantle, Kaline, Aaron & Mays.
    The chewing gum that came in a pack of baseball cards was to die for, the best. Especially when ya put in 2 or 3 sticks, then you would have a wad just like the players did. You would leave it in all day if ya could.
    My grandmother made the greatest Turkey gravy the world has ever known, ever. Best on my Dad’s stuffing, which was the best stuffing ever made, ever.
    There was no such thing as Mexican food.
    Chinese food was Chun King.
    Last edited by FireMan; April 26, 2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy RC Cola was the best!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Still loves me some RC!!!!

'...Cause what's good enuff fer other folks
      Jus ain't good enuff fer me..."

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      Newfie steak anything like Newfie chrome?

Soonerpop - I never had any Mexican, (not even Taco Bell), while livin' at home. Fast forward to Navy times when I was stationed in Pensacola FL. Some buddies and I were out having a good time when someone suggested we get Mexican food. I was dubious, but OK. The place we went was terrible. The food tasted like fried dirt, boiled dirt, and baked dirt. I said never again. However, the CO of my next ship was from Southern CA and loved Mexican food. I did find some things I like. And 45 years later, I love Mexican food.

It won't do any good to ask me what I had that first time 'cause when young, single Navy guys go out for a good time, memories tend to get blurry...
    Last edited by RonB; April 26, 2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

So the food could have been delicious . However, you're and crewmates were to drunk to know that. Been there got the tee shirt, I think. 🍻🍻🍻

I didn't serve and thank you for your Service. I believe I was served, I think.
      Last edited by RichieB; April 26, 2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I served, and was served in more countries than I can remember...

…and canned spinach instantly gave you huge muscles.

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Popeye!

60's and 70's were they blue jean era

Comment

SOS. Either because my parents grew up in the depression, or because money was tight with our big family.

I saw it on the menu of a local cafe. When I asked about it, the waitress chuckled and said it was a menu item leftover from the previous owner.

Comment

Could you see in color in the ‘50s?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            There were positives: once the world turned color you could tell when your steak was cooked correctly.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB still waiting for your response.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            scottranda - sorry but I'm color blind.

Pork was not served pink

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the choices were: shoe leather or no pork.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            But it was way fattier, in a good way, than the pork we see today!!

You read restaurant menus from right to left!
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 12, 2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	63DEE8D0-6BE2-4E90-9640-7A592B9B121C.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1252840
            Meanwhile, in my home state…

Comment

Swanson TV dinners. Rutts Hut on River Rd. and the Red Chimney on Rt. 3 in Clifton N.J. and diners. The Clearmount comes to mind as does the Tick Tock. Yea it was Jersey and that's what we did. And my mother had a hard time boiling water. Eating out was the norm and salvage from her cooking.

Comment

• WayneT
                WayneT commented
                Editing a comment
                Who ate a Swanson TV dinner while watching Bonanza on Sunday night?

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                WayneT We thought TV dinners were a treat!! Growing up on a farm in the 60's-70's we hardly ever went out to eat so getting something like that was a big deal...HA!!

Yeah, i remember the 90's good times. LOL.

At least the ridiculous Organic, Vegan, kale chip, etc craze had not started yet. That being said, I know I was born in the wrong century, for sure.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Remember the "Big Foot" pizza from Little Caesar's? LOL Huskee

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Microwave popcorn!

• WayneT
                WayneT commented
                Editing a comment
                Boil in the bag, uhhhh, food?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here