Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg of lamb...Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg of lamb...Success!

Yesterday I did a boneless leg of lamb that turned out WAY better than I thought it would. Since there aren’t as many posts about doing lamb as there are about other meats I thought I’d give some details about the cook in case anyone else is thinking about trying it.

It was a boneless leg. One of those New Zealand ones from Sam’s Club, a little over 4 pounds. The day before I took it out of that string bag they put them in and rubbed it with chopped mint, rosemary, thyme and garlic. Then I tied it back together with butchers twine and wrapped it in plastic.

Setup for the cook was the SnS in the Weber. 15 KBB coals lit, dumped in one corner and added about 60 more unlit. Water reservoir filled. No smoking wood. I let the temp rise to about 200 and put on the meat. At this point all of my vents were still open and I decided to leave them open for a while since I was a bit rushed for time. I figured as long as my cooking temp didn’t get too high I could live with it. Actually in about an hour it reached 280 so I closed down the vents just a bit an brought the temp back to about 250. When the internal temp reached 120 (about 2 hours in) I shut the vents down more to give it a final slow rise up to the final temp. At this point I took a peak and realized I wasn’t going to have to do a final sear because the color was already just about perfect.

I prefer lamb on the medium side rather than medium rare so I took the internal temp up to 138 and then took it off the grill. That was about 2 1/2 hours in. I made a board sauce of the same herbs and garlic that I used for the rub along with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The lamb was terrific! Great flavor, just the right amount of smoke. I had just enough time to grab one picture so it isn’t the best but you get the idea. Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	192912

Looks great! Tim Clark

Comment

Very Nice! We usually pick one of those boneless leg 'o' lamb once a month. I've always butterflied and grilled it but now we are going to give something new a whirl. We love the leftovers too!

Comment

Very nice, indeed! Just added lamb to my summer to-do list ...

Comment

That looks great. I think I'm going to cook a leg of lamb on the rotisserie next. I really like Meathead's Charmoula and Ras el Hanout for marinade and seasoning, so will probably stick with that. But after marinade, will tie and rotisserie.

ANd yes, not nearly enough from folks on how the cook lamb, so going to add more of my own cooks in here.

Comment

Tim Clark - that's one very fine looking leg-o-lamb. Beautifully done, beautiful picture and congrats on a great cook! Kudos to you on a very successful cook!

Comment

We just did a boneless leg-o-lamb this weekend. I took it to 140 for the dear wife who doesn't like things as rare as I do. But it was still pretty darn good! As are the leftovers - yum! I really like the leg better than getting a rack, and it is cheaper, too. I used rosemary and garlic, and I DID NOT have any of the vile green goo from a jar...

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                No Green Goo! No Green Goo!! No Green Goo!!! That's the way to do it! LOL!

Looks beautiful! My wife would think it's undercooked. (sigh)

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Easy fix. Don't let it prevent you from having it the way you like. Cook it medium rare and put her slice or two in the microwave for a few seconds. That will mute the pink and still not dry it out.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                My wife KNOWING it was pink at one time would pass. Like the time I took it out the packaging.

I just saw this post and now I've got to do one of these. We love lamb and have some friends that wouldn't mind coming over for an experimental cook. Your results look wonderful!

Comment

I did a lamb shoulder yesterday. Spread it out, and plastered both sides with a garlic, black pepper, rosemary, anchovie and guanciale paste. Then tied it back up.

Because it's like a butt from the collagen point of view, I ran it to 160 internal at 290 (was having problems with the egg due to bad charcoal). Came out great, and I'm a medium rare kind of guy usually. The shoulder is definitely forgiving in terms of internal temps.

Your leg is more beautiful than my shoulder was, though!

Lamb is great!
                Last edited by EdF; August 28, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Wow, just wow! Adding leg-o-lamb to my list of things to try!

Comment

I love lamb! Will add a leg of lamb to my Rec Tec To Do list.

Comment

I love lamb, and those pictures make me drool. Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here