Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hot Dog I've Ever Had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the NO NITRATES labels (Except we use celery powder, which has nitrates) LOL. Not hating, just having fun. I need to look for these at my local Publix.

Comment

Is it wrong to want to try one of these dog’s Chicago style?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s never wrong to try a dog Chicago Style (says the girl born and raised in chi-town)

My 1st will be grilled placed on a hotdog roll.
      Spicey mustard and sauerkraut. A classic New York dog.

Next might be a RUTTS HUT Ripper. Jersey classic. Google it. Deep fried.

Comment

So, a little word of caution to my fellow Pitsters. Feltman's is apparently in a place beyond their management capability. Just over a week ago I put in an order for the large sampler, 2# dogs, Martins' rolls, and mustard (oh, and a dumb cap that will probably be donated somewhere). I understand the "ship only Mon-Thur" thing for perishables so I didn't get too impatient (in my mind anyway). But come yesterday evening, Friday, not only had I not received an order, I haven't even gotten a shipping/tracking notice. I emailed them asking what was going on, and while I got a prompt reply, it was clearly and automated response that answered nothing except to use the now ubiquitous "Covid" excuse. Yeah, yeah, sometimes it's probably true, but I was in business long enough to have seen too many poorly run businesses hide behind the excuse de jure.

Hopefully Monday a live person will be in contact with useful info, but for any of you looking to give these folks a try...................this might not be the time.

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Feel your pain. On the business side I feel the Covid pain. Our supply chain is absolute garbage right now. I don't know how many more swords I can fall on for my suppliers.

I have to agree with Uncle Bob.

After this thread started, I found Feltman's hot dogs on Amazon. They sell a 3-Pack of 1 lb. (6 dogs) for $44.99 plus $9.99 shipping. Kinda expensive but I love a good hot dog. They arrived nicely packaged in dry ice and hard as a rock. Have renewed this order a couple of times. On the last order instead of receiving 3 packages (1 pound each) with 6 dogs in each package I received 3 packages (each weighing 12.8 oz) with 8 dogs per package. I immediately contacted the seller thru Amazon with the mistake. To their credit I received a prompt reply telling me to keep the packages that I had received in error and that they were sending 3 packages of the bigger dogs. To their discredit, they sent another 3 packages of the smaller dogs. I don't think that I will reorder. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a local market that stocks these.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          I get them at Whole Foods. A package of 6, $8.00.

Being born in the Chicago suburbs, and our family having a hot dog stand. The best hot dog to me, is all beef Vienna hot dog, mustard, relish, onion, tomato, pickle spear, sport pepper and a dash of celery salt. Everyone else can do as the please, but to me. That is the hot dog to have.

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          "2 dogs everything, fries, and a coke." I can't count how many times that sentence has come out of my mouth, but it was good thing every time.
          Last edited by willxfmr; December 6, 2020, 03:32 AM.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn I grew up at 87th and Cicero in Chi, not to far from Midway !!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman grandpa always took us to Nicky’s on Archer just south of Central. Hot dogs in the bottom of the bag. Then the entire bag gets filled with fries. Clear the kitchen table and tear open the bag like a crab boil!

Yup gotta agree with Mojo0209 I also grew up with Vienna. My aunt was an executive at the company and that was the hot dog of Chi Town. Still consider it the gold standard.

Home of the original Chicago style hot dog. Shop online or come into the store for the best hot dogs in Chicago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	66CC2591-D3D0-4AD2-874A-1DC7647B5EC7.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	951269

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          A little late to this post I guess but I have never heard of the Vienna Beef hot dog. Not from Chicago, only been once. It was in February and the snow was blowing sideways in about 30 mph wind right off Lake Michigan. A little cold for the south Florida born boy.

Anyway, I do love a great dog. We can get Feltman's at our local Publix. Pretty good but not great IMO. How is the service folks are getting ordering the Vienna Beef dogs from viennabeef.com???

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Alabama Smoke I'm originally from Chi-town but moved to Texas as quickly as I could
          To be honest I source them down here (you gotta look hard) so I've never ordered any. They're a really good hot dog but ordering some? meh

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          When I "need" a Vienna hot dog, I have a Portillo’s here.

Those are big words, I’m intrigued.

Comment

I really hate this, but part of what we do here is watch each others backs. It was almost two weeks ago I warned the folks here that Feltman's seems to have found their level of incompetence. Well, the saga continues. I waited another week past that post to see if they got caught up hoping that giving them time would bring resolution. Alas, such was not the case. I sent them another email asking what was going on. Again I got what appeared to be an automated response that promised a live contact within 36 business hours. I wrote them that they had said that earlier and I'd still not heard from a real person. Within an hour I got an impersonal email that said something along the line that "your credit card has been credited the purchase amount." No explanation, no apology, no info of any value except that apparently they cancelled the transaction. Shortly after that I got an email that stated the same info with the phrase "missed order", whatever that's supposed to mean. As a side note, even though they claim it was a missed order they were successful in charging my credit card immediately when I placed the order. Left hand/right hand? That, by the way, is in violation of their credit card agreement with the card issuers, though not a direct violation of trade law. So, I was financially made whole, but the rest of the messaging was unclear on whether the order was cancelled or if they were going to "comp" the order as an "apology". Then, a couple days later I received a notice that said "your order is being processed", and indicated the products from the original order............no explanation. Okay, so maybe....maybe....they were comping the order? Oh, and they had added a no charge baseball cap. All that was nearly a week ago. I did get a tracking notice from them......................for the baseball cap........which as of today shows that it is still not shipped. I don't care, I don't need their dumb hat. And at this point I never want to hear of their lousy company again. I'm glad the original poster here loves their hot dogs, but why I'll never know. This company appears to be completely incompetent. Don't take the risk is all I can tell you, ordering from them is a nightmare.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh dang! I had been thinking about ordering...... or anymore.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here