Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

190 Hot Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

190 Hot Dogs

The day before yesterday I was asked to feed 90 mouths with 2 off "Wors Rolls" or Hot Dogs.
    Had a little under 2 hours to make fire and butter rolls and cook 190 pieces of sausage to be ready for serving.

The "Braai" is on the business premises were my wagon is stationed.
    Made the fire in a half drum and transferred the coals as needed. I found the draw was not that effective and when I took a look around the back of the canopied area I noticed a long stainless steel piece of chimney stack lying around.

That did not hamper me and I did what was needed and on time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_111640.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	656146

Name:	20190325_113132.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	656147

Took 3 loads and a lot of rotating and moving around.
    I worked the ones on the back of the grid from left to right as they were above the hotter part of the fire. Transferred to holding dish when they were done.
    Then those in the foreground were moved over the higher heat.
    Only when I had finished cooking the complete load did I add more "Wors".
    I did get a bit mixed up / lost ever now and again.

Name:	20190325_123000.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	656148

That looks like fun. How big is the grate?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't measure but will, if I guestimate about 1200mm or 4 Feet maybe a bit longer.
      I only used about 3/4 of the grate for cooking.

Cool! Visually, those are either sausages or andouille in the US. Hotdogs are a specific style of link with no casing. The meat is unknown. Most of us call it mystery meat. Hotdogs are typically served on a long bun of appropriate length.

In Louisiana, and some other states, sausages are served on a long bun and are referred to as sausage Po Boys or Poor Boys.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      and here in SA they are known as Boerewors Rolls.
      The funny thing is that is the Afrikaans name and known by everyone by that name.
      A lot of Afrikaans speaking people when ordering one in English for some or other reason refer to them as Hotdogs.
      I then qualify if it is a Russian sausage or Cheesegriller sausage etc. they want and the reply no a Wors Roll.
      Now why didn't you just say that to start with.

Are those boerewors or a different sausage?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Boerewors and were actually very tasty. Think that brand is called Plaaswors.
      I haven't the faintest of how many different variations there are.

Something that might help the next time you have to use this grill would be to do what I used to do when we had a wood stove and the weather was very cold. I would take a small can and pour a cup of high grade rubbing alcohol into it and get it as close to the flue as possible and light it. The alcohol fire is hot and warms the flue to help with the draw.

Comment

Sounds like fun. Nice job!

Comment

Congrats on getting the job done, and on time.

Comment

That’s a lot of big weenies !!!!

Comment

Very good job. You can rest assured that should you ever have a hankering to move to North America you can always get a job in any major baseball stadium. We do love our hot dogs and franks watching baseball.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Did I hear correct there's a flight ticket in the post for a try out.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here