Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEM BigBite#5 Stuffing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEM BigBite#5 Stuffing Issue

I got a brand new LEM BB#5 for Christmas and decided to make 10 pounds of snack sticks from ground beef and some pork belly. It took me 1.5 hour to push through 10 pounds of the grind into the casings. And I mean I really had to push it through. I would have to push the meat down into the auger hard to have it push through the provided horn for a 21mm casing. On another note, will snacks sticks hit a stall at around 140 degree F internal temp? Started smoking at 130 degrees and increased 10 degrees per hour. It took nearly 12 hours. Seems like something was off.

How much water did you mix in?

Also, the smaller sticks are harder to press.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      How much water did you mix in?

Also, the smaller sticks are harder to press.
      Hello Jarod - I used 1oz. of water per pound of meat as instructed on the LEM snack stick seasoning package.
      Last edited by Aprwvu; December 27, 2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

OK, you were fine on that. But those little sticks are a pain to do in a stuffer and even worse in a grinder.

Comment

LEM makes some seriously fantastic grinders. I gotta #12. But grinders in general are not good stuffers. They are grinders. For stuffing you would need a good stuffer. I have this one and it works dang good.

The Mighty Bite 5 lb. Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffer sets the bar for performance and dependability. Make your favorite sausages with this easy-to-fill, easy-to-stuff, and easy-to-clean 5 lb. Sausage Stuffer.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            +1. I have the same one and it makes stuffing so much easier.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang I've been wanting one of those. You got all the good stuff Lon, how about helping me convince the misses I need one ???

I've only ever stuffed sausage using a stuffer and have never done the small snack sticks. It takes some finesse to just do a second grind on hamburger. I can't imagine trying to feed a sticky sausage mix through the grinder. If you live near a Cabela's, keep your eye on the bargain basement. I picked up a 5lb stuffer there for $79.

Comment

Another vote for a dedicated stuffer. I used my grinder for the larger casings, and that works ok, but a stuffer is much handier for smaller casings (and does a better job of stuffing the larger ones as well).

Comment

I agree with above, You need a dedicated stuffer. I built this hydro stuffer that holds 25 lb batches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24862527_1522708461141076_7333000560248958461_n.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	614593

Comment

• JDM
                JDM commented
                Editing a comment
                Would you share the plans and how to for your hydro stuffer?

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                What JDM said! That is a sweet set up!

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                My god, man!

Dr ROK , JDM Here was a couple posts when I built it, A lot was done in the shop where I worked.

My sister likes my homemade sausage better than store-bought and it's leaner. So when pork butts were on sale at the local meat market for $1.19 per pound I picked

Comment

Let me start off by saying congratulations on the LEM Grinder. LEM makes a very fine unit. That being said as pointed out it is designed for grinding. The size you have is nice but really isn't powerful enough for some tasks. One thing that may help is to make sure the grinder tube is ice cold. I have a 3/4 HP grinder and the cooling makes a difference. I haven't tried stuffing with it yet but suspect I will have similar issues as you have had at least to some degree.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As you say, the freezer is your friend, even if it slows the process down a bit!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here