Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the love of sausage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the love of sausage.

My sister likes my homemade sausage better than store-bought and it's leaner. So when pork butts were on sale at the local meat market for $1.19 per pound I picked up six butts and some #29 seasoning from Butcher and Packer. I ground up 50 pounds and use my homemade Big Mother Stuffer that holds 25 pounds and is powered by water pressure to fill 1 pound bags.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	363363Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	363362Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	363359Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	363360 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_44820.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	363361Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	363365
    A little video clip of my home made water stuffer. with a 6" diameter piston generates approximately 900 lbs of pressure using city washer pressure.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 16, 2017, 03:11 PM.

I knew I was going to like this thread when I saw the title. Man, you've got a sausage factory there!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, EdF just ordered some high temp cheddar for some Venison jalapeno and cheddar Hickory Stick next!

Nice equipment!

Comment

<----- Jealous!!!

That stuff is so much better than store-bought!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        You got that right, not all that gristle and crap they add in.

Man that setup is freaking awesome. I too am jealous.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve, I had this set up in my enclosed trailer since I had the tables in there from when I used it for a couple comps.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Powersmoke_80 I guess that's a pretty serious trailer as well. Very cool to have a separate space to prep. That would make my wife happy. Keeping the kitchen clean.

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve B Its a R&R aluminium 7'x18' with 7'ceiling that was used for motorcycle racing by the previous owner. So he had halogen lights and outlets and some cabinets installed down one wall. I have had for quite awhile and just used for comps this year and now sausage making Lol.

How cool is this? Thanks for the post!

Comment

Wow! That's a great setup.

Comment

That is friggin awesome... Sausage (both making and cooking perfectly) is my bane. Dunno why I can't get it right. Must be adding too much scotch or Tennessee whiskey to myself first. hm.... anyway looks like you nailed the production!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            The single most important things I've learned are: high fat content, and keep all the equipment and meat very cold. That maintains the right texture. Michael Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" is a great book on the how and why.

I think it is the cold portion. I freeze all the parts in the deep freeze, but the texture always comes out mushy. The ingredients are always frozen too. I dunno what the issue is. I gave up about 6 months ago, and stick to what I am good at when it comes to sausage...eating it!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            If you start with cold meat and your sausage still comes out mushy, it's time to take a serious look at your grinder. Dull or poor fitting knife/plate most likely problem.

• Greasy
            Greasy commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been told to get the ingredients cold but not frozen. I've had good luck with my sausage.

I freeze them solid, is that the problem, ice crystals puncturing the cell walls and leaking out all the fluids maybe? I'll try it again and keep it cool instead of frozen. It starts out looking fine, but when I cook it it comes out either mushy or when I cook it longer it is like a hot dog consistency on the inside.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            In short yes. Frozen no bueno. If you PM me your recipe or post it I will be happy to send you one in return that is a slam dunk. What kind? Remember, sausage is a technique and skill, not a type or recipe. If you nail the techique you are good to go on most types of basic sausage.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter What size die are you using in your grinder? What are you using to stuff with? If you are using the stuffing attachment on a grinder that may be some of the problem.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I have used several different recipes that I found online. I am using a Kitchenaide and have tried both the course and fine attachment.

HorseDoctor Yup! Powersmoke_80 that's freeking gorgeous. Makes my 20lbs manuals look like it came from a happy meal. Though I do love my personal 5lbs'er for "just enough" for us. I love the ball valve switch/on n off. Is the too much power for casings or can it set to "idle" for stuffing?

Comment

HouseHomey Thanks, it may be a tad overkill but this was a fun build. Most of my recipes that I have are for 25 pound batches and a group of us at work are going to use it for making venison sausage. I may make a smaller version like the Dakota water stuffer though for smaller batches.
            On the big mother stuffer there are two ball valves on it, an inlet and the other is the drain. The inlet ball valve controls the flow, not pressure, so yes I can do casings by just cracking it. It also has an electronic solenoid valve in front of The inlet ball valve with an on/off foot pedal to turn water on and off once flow is set. For some reason when I went to use it this time the solenoid valve did not close so I just had to use the inlet ball valve for on and off. Also I did find out by leaving the drain valve cracked , I don't get creep after I shut the inlet off. Venison sticks are next Lol.
            Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 19, 2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Seriously... I just got goosebumps. I'm geeking out

Looking at your set up and volume I want to know when will it be stores near me.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Friends and Family plan right now, ha ha.

Very nice indeed, that setup puts to shame my Kitchenaide grinder and 5# stuffer.

Comment

33 lbs of Venison jalapeño cheddar hickory stick. Need to make room in the freezer for my sons first Deer from the youth hunt. ​ ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	390567 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here