Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hirshon's Columbian Hot Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hirshon's Columbian Hot Dogs

Awright, at Troutman 's urging, and to give Jhirshon some feedback, here is my review and twist on the Hirshon Colombian Dog recipe: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nte-colombiano.

I think we all agree that one must try a first-time recipe as written, and I mostly stayed true to the original while simultaneously building my own riff on same. Everything about the Colombian Dogs recipe was fantastic and I would serve to family and friends as is. However, my taste buds were jonesing for something more. There was a craving deep inside that I just couldn't overcome, and so I succumbed to the temptation of improvisation.

As I was going through the preparations of the recipe, my mind kept racing through what iterations I could add that would enhance and elevate my experience. I was all over the place, bouncing from one idea to the next, but it was only 2:00 AM and I figured I had plenty of time to experiment before dinnertime, the next day. I had this strange sensation of being watched, but dismissed it, owing to my anxiety of trying to perfect the cook.

Anyway, the only changes I made to the posted recipe was to add some smoked jalapeno powder to the salsa rosada and to use Duke's Mayo for same. Again, it was a fun and delicious recipe and we totally enjoyed it.

For my riffs, I started with the pineapple sauce. I added a jalapeno and a couple of nasty looking little peppers that my wife planted labeled "Ashland Hot Pepper Hybrids" to the grind. They gave it a nice kick and a peppery finish. Thumbs up from both of us.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Escobar.2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	576909

I already mentioned the salsa rosada, but the other 2 were equally delicious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Escobar.3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	576910

The hot dogs were the SRF that I found in the bargain bin and need no further introduction. I was disappointed that they split during the boil, but it really didn't affect the outcome.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Escobar.4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	968.2 KB ID:	576911

And the final result of the Colombian Hot Dog

Click image for larger version  Name:	Escobar.5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	576912

Again, a delicious meal. But something was still missing. A yearning unmet, a craving unmitigated, an insatiable urge unsatisfied. What, my racing mind wondered, could fulfill and tame this wild hunger!! And then it dawned on me. The original recipe called for the dogs to be cooked in a Coca-Cola and water solution. We honestly could not find where that made any difference to the final taste. So, I came up with my own 7% solution to the problem by adding some pickled jalapeno and thought of using a little white powdery substance (sugar), but didn't. I call these "Escobar Dogs". Very euphoric with a nice explosion of flavor....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Escobar.1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	576913

Last edited by CaptainMike; October 9, 2018, 06:14 AM.

Now I'm hungry...

Comment

Me too. Sounds darn good.

Comment

Your tweaks sound awesome!

Comment

Now see that wasn't too difficult....great job and yea I'm trying these out, you definitely got my attention and follow.

Comment

I am doing the unthinkable - comparing SV hotdogs on the Santa Maria to straight grilled hot dogs, tonight. Hebrew National 100% all beef franks. I added Slap Ya Mama, soy sauce and apple cider vinegar to the SV. Cooking at 155 for 45 minutes in water bath. I love a good BBQ'd dog much better than a boiled dog.

Please keep this a secret - I do put Mayo, mustard and ketchup on my dogs as well as onions, peppers, jalepenos and cheese. This should be between us, only. Shhhhh.

I read that hot dogs SV'd are either "the best dog ever eaten" or "The worst dogs, mushy". I will not test the condiments. For taste test I will only compare an end piece of the dog to see if a 45 minute water bath ruins the dog, makes it well worth the time. I will report back when it is done.

This is not the Jhirshon dog, but it is a Santa Maria dog as well as a SV dog - both of which are in your dog wheelhouse/arsenal.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
              Bob's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I still bear the scars of my last "ketchup on a dog" comment. I may start a support group....

KETCHUP along with other stuff? You knave you! Thought you could keep us from hearin it did ya?

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              What? Huh? Someone must have hacked my account! Please sent IT!!!!!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't say nuffin', I ain't no rat! Even though a hot dog with catsoup no doubt tastes like rat. Boiled rat at that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot dog grilled 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	605700Click image for larger version

Name:	Finishing temp grilled hotdog.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	605701Click image for larger version

Name:	Finishing Temp hotdog SV.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	605702Click image for larger version

Name:	Fisihed hotdogs.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	605703

Result - wife used as blind taste-tester if dogs without dressing: No difference except she preferred the bark on the grilled dog. The SV dog was not mushy. To set up the grill it took 20 minutes to get it to temp. I already had dogs in SV. It took about six minutes to grill the dog and one minute to rotate the SV dog. In my opinion, the SV dog had a little more flavor, but not any more than I could have mixed into the condiments. I preferred the grilled taste of the dog. Note the grilled dog was "pulled" at 160 while the SV dog shot up to 178 with two minutes of grilling. This test proves once and for all that BBQ is just fun! Anyone who dares refute my hypothesis should stick to a restaurant!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Well played Sir, well played. And since you didn't bring your dreaded catsoup into play I would partake of either displayed dog. I really like your grill, by the way. I hear you can make pizza on them, probably just a vicious rumor...

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike, the challenge here for you is the SV pizza vs the grilled pizza on the Santa Maria. I wouldn’t dare try that one! Hahahahaha. I absolutely loved temping dogs with the Thermopen. I think they may make me return it without a refund for that.

I’m going to have to try these shenanigans with some brats. Just thinking.
            Oh, and CaptainMike , thank you very much for that little thing you did. I forever will now call IT catsoup. Yessir, mighty fine!
            Last edited by FireMan; December 11, 2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              OOOH, tres bien!

Sitting here eating left over pizza but wishing I was eating that! Good stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here