Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub ideas for different hot dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub ideas for different hot dogs

So, I want to put some hot dogs into the smoker and have some fun with them. I plan on trying both beef and turkey hot dogs. I want to spiral cut the dogs to get more surface area to put a rub on them. So, now comes the hard part. I do not know how to come up with my own rubs. Would you use different rubs for these two types of dogs? Would a turkey rub be a good thing to use on the turkey dog?

Some other thoughts I had was to spiral cut a jalapeno pepper and roll it into the spiral cut dog, then maybe wrap in bacon. Then apply more rub. Are these ideas that can work or am I going way overboard? I am a noob at cooking/grilling/smoking at best...

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations.

I smoked hot dogs in one of my basic rubs and the guests didn't leave any for me. Try your favorite rub. Unless they are beef franks (go in the beef direction) they are probably pork and poultry, so any rub that would work on both or either will work well.

Comment

Also think about glazes as a rub is kinda difficult on a dog in my opinion. So far my best has been a pear based-about to go rotten-glaze, and I just use my nose and taste buds while developing the glaze. My process is pretty simple:

1. Buy a bunch of spices!
      2. Pick a sweet, a salt, a savory, and a sour/acid experience.

The basics are, as I like them: fruits for sweet (other sugars can be great: molasses, honey, cane, etc.); salt isn't salt, try odd things like peanut butter, fish sauce, soy; savory is wonderful, easy choices are thyme, rosemary, sage, and the staples of garlic/onion; sours are often fruits for me too, lemon/lime, but I also go to various vinegars for acid. Don't tell anyone else on this forum, but the best works-with-anything BBQ sauce is ginger based. Fresh ginger! For your experiment, add the jalapeno/hot to the sauce, and absolutely think about grilling the peppers (and everythign else) before adding them to your sauce.

Start a pot simmering with your base, pears in my example, and cook it down until it starts smelling wonderful! Then take deep smells of the base and add spices that seem like they compliment it. Smell the base, smell the spice, and add it. Sample often, and remember the four base experiences.

Cook dogs until they're really dead. The charred nasty thing you had as a child isn't right, but a well cooked dog is a thing to wonder. Not love, but wonder how chicken lips can taste so good.

Good luck!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Like your approach - and very edifying too!

Meathead Memphis Dust should work great.

Comment

somebody did a whole post about this a long time ago... i wonder if i can find that...

Comment

If I were to do that I would buy Hebrew National 1/4 lb Kosher dogs. It has a lot of surface area, is a straight dog and has a good beef flavor.

Comment

I never thought about putting rub on a dog.

Aside from flea powder

Comment

Have you tried the slotdog? that may help give you some surface area for rub

Comment

I am thinking the spiral cut will give me a ton of surface area, although I like the slotdog as well...

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Goto SeriousEats and check out "spiral dog". Really good. --Ed

• cgrover60
                cgrover60 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just a comment about the slotdog - it does work well on thicker dogs and not so well on the skinny bun length dogs.

Originally posted by bpiela View Post
              So, I want to put some hot dogs into the smoker and have some fun with them. I plan on trying both beef and turkey hot dogs. I want to spiral cut the dogs to get more surface area to put a rub on them. So, now comes the hard part. I do not know how to come up with my own rubs. Would you use different rubs for these two types of dogs? Would a turkey rub be a good thing to use on the turkey dog?

Some other thoughts I had was to spiral cut a jalapeno pepper and roll it into the spiral cut dog, then maybe wrap in bacon. Then apply more rub. Are these ideas that can work or am I going way overboard? I am a noob at cooking/grilling/smoking at best...

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations.
              I've never thought about rubbing a hot dog (insert joke here), my limited experience with them are when kids are over and I throw a few of Oscar's finest on the grill. When they seem done we'll feed them to the kiddies with some ketchup and mustard and everything's fine.

I've seen larger hot dog varieties at some of the local butcher shops, they're much bigger and meatier but I've never asked about them. Is that what you're talking about, a higher quality dog than what's available at the local supermarket?

If you do it please let us know how they turn out!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the jokes in my mind before responding seriously. It's why it took me a day to write anything! Your comments in paragraph 2 don't help my laughing spell one bit.

• bpiela
                bpiela commented
                Editing a comment
                What I am hoping to do is come up with a fun way to cook plain old hot dogs, whether it is a beef dog or a turkey dog. Perhaps doing things slightly different for each.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                bpiela - I think your idea is a good one. The jokes only come from the terminology, not the idea. I really would work with the Hebrew 1/4 pound kosher dog because it is all beef and would lend itself to what you are thinking.

tbob4 - All is good. I will pick up the Hebrew National dogs for the beef dogs. Thanks very much!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm looking forward to the results. Never thought of doing it because of the casing.

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here.

Hey, so I tried doing some smoked bacon-wrapped beef dogs for the Super Bowl and it was recommended to me to follow along the lines of the LA Danger Dogs that are sold in carts in the LA area.

So, I spiralized the dogs and then took some jalapenos, cored them and sliced rings very thin. I cut the rings and then put the jalapenos in the spiraled sections of the dog and wrapped them in bacon. Here is a pic.

I then applied a thin layer of hot pepper oil, which I am not sure that I needed. On top of that, I used a rub very similar to the Jeff Phillips basic rub and smoked in my electric smoker at 225 for 2.5 hours. Here is a pic after they came out of the smoker:

I put the dog on a bun, topped it with sauteed onions and thinly sliced bell peppers, then squiggled on a strip of mustard, ketchup and mayo. Here is a final pic.

It was gooood. Everyone loved them. I appreciate all of the comments listed here. Next time I do this, I want to make turkey dogs with the Simon and Garfunkel rub. Not sure how that will go, but I am sure it will be great.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks absolutely awesome!!!

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                All that for just .51 cents! I'll take two!

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. I’m usually against doing a lot of work to make a simple thing, but this one looks worth it.

Looks like th' Best Hot Dogs I've never had!!! YUM!!!

I'm on it!

Great pics too, BTW!

Comment

Wowzers, that's a LOT of work for a dog! lol

I think I'm going to do some dogs today, like the link to the previous article, use my Slotdog, throw 'em on the smoker to open 'em up a bit, THEN pull 'em off and throw some rub and sauce on 'em, then back in to finish.

We'll see how it goes, I might throw up some pitcherz later on!

Comment

I don't know how I missed this post, but the last set of photos looks outstanding and is now on my to do list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here