Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Turkey Sausage Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Turkey Sausage Recipe

I'm working to clean out the freezer and with nice weather forecasted for the weekend I was thinking I would make some smoked sausage using ground turkey. Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share?
    Last edited by efincoop; August 19, 2022, 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

I would like to give this a shot too. I need to cut down on pork. It hurt me to type that lol

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you!

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Add me to the list of people who want a good turkey sausage recipe...

I don't have a recipe, but I know ground turkey can have a wide range of fat content, so try to ascertain that for whatever your making. A lot of people don't put enough fat into sausage generally, and it ends up dry. But, some ground turkey can have a high fat content.

Comment

Here’s a video from a trusted source. Recipe embedded in the video. Lots of good how-to.

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for sharing this. I'm working with ground turkey, so I think I am going to see if I can convert his seasoning measurements to work with what I have.

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        keep us updated as to how they came out.

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in the process of smoking them right now & will do a write up with the recipe & process.

Here are two sausages that we make frequently with chicken thighs. I'd expect them to work quite well with ground turkey. Note, that both recipes use half salt and hale "no salt" (potassium chloride). If you're not on a reduced salt diet, just delete the no salt and double the salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recipe2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1278161

Name:	stuffed.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1278162

Name:	cooked.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1278163

Name:	Recipe.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1278164

Name:	stuffed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1278165

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1278166
      The Chicken-Spinach-Feta is really good over pasta with some sort of white sauce. The feta makes up for the lack of fat.
      The Italian includes the thigh skins to add a little fat, but the ground turkey you have may well have a good amount of fat in it.

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing these John, they look delicious. I will definitely give them a try. I do not have the equipment for making sausage, so I make patties instead. I may have to rethink that based on these 2 recipes! For today, I modified the recipe Texas Larry linked to above and scaled it down for my cook. I'll be posting the details in a separate thread, and then link to that thread from this topic.

Quite the operation you have there. Impressive.
      I haven't made sausage in years...maybe it's time.

Comment

I posted the recipe & method I used here if anyone is interested.
        Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow is all I got

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here