Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trail Bologna PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail Bologna PSA

If you are ever offered Trail Bologna from Ohio, just say yes. It’s incredible!!!! When I first moved to Ohio 25 years ago I was given some “Swiss and Trail” and have been loving it ever since.

It’s all beef, has quite a firm texture and beautifully seasoned. Traditionally served here in Ohio with a baby Swiss cheese (crackers optional).

Click image for larger version

Name:	29F5F6D8-49FD-47BA-9E0E-6F58557D83E2.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	1131897
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AB0AF669-CDBD-4E25-9414-4409C8DB9E58.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1131896

I love me some Loney. But seriously, smoked bologna is one of my favorite things. I also love it skillet fried with onions. Oh geez. Now I need to go buy some.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      An one can do smoked, then skillet fried, with onion, as well.

At least, this one has...

Fried bologna is also purty danged fine with some breakfast tucker; slap a lil maple syrup all up on it...pancakes, eggses, taters, grits...it pairs well with all!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 25, 2021, 06:12 AM.

My wife grew up in Dover and we have had a steady supply of Troyer’s since we have been together and I tried it for the first time. I like it with mustard, too. Love that stuff! There is a cheese house in New Philadelphia called Yaggi’s that shipped me cheese and trail while I was deployed to Iraq.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well It’s a small world. I’ve lived in Dover for my last 25 years.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s crazy! My mother in law still lives there on Buckeye St near the high school.

Why do they call it “trail”? Carryover from wagon train?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      D’oh! I was always slow in reading comprehension 🙄

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, me too. Lol, I only found out after asking almost the identical question.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      So why do they call it...

Oh, never mind...

Had yall goin, huh?

Is it available anywhere online?

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure how to post a web link but if you search Walnut Creek Cheese you can buy it there along with bulk foods and spices. The actual store is 20 minutes from me and it’s one of my favorite stores of all time.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Their Uncle Mike’s beef jerky and beef sticks are pretty tasty also.

Found it! Thanks.

Comment

I like a good ring bologna. We had some the other night with chipped potatoes, onions, and jalapenos.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv Glad I could help, Brother!

Lemme know what ya think!

Happy Thanksgivin!!!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones rednecks gotta eat, right?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon that's true enough, Brother texastweeter

Rednecks gotta eat.

Otherwise?

Well Hail!

Ain't really much dadgum fun to say "Pull my finger", now is it?

What an incredibly boring prospect fer life that is.

My favorite is Nemecek ring bologna from Slovecek's in West Texas.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Slovacek's is great. I used to drive over to Snook from College Station to stock up on their BBQ Links.

Good ring bologna makes the slicing sandwich meat stuff look ridiculous.

Comment

I grew up eating troyers trail bologna. Never questioned why it was called trail bologna. I just assumed trail bologna meant it was ring bologna instead of the wide sandwich sliced bologna. Greetings from Louisville

Comment

So, why is it called Trail Ohio?

Comment

• 22rifle
            22rifle commented
            Editing a comment
            Just don’t ask why Intercourse, PA and Blue Ball, PA are named what they are.

Troyers does a lot more than trail bologna, too. They have quite the deli, and the prices are ridiculously low (at least if you can get there in person). Not sure about shipping but their Cajun turkey is fantastic, as is most all of their sausage line. There is a reason that places all over the state (and actually region now) offer their products for sale.

https://troyerscountrymarket.com/

Comment

For those of you in Iowa, the ring bologna from Kitts in Dedham (just south of Carroll) is worthy. Famous, they say. My mother grew up in the house next to it, the building was my grandfather's chicken hatchery way back. That might make me biased, but I don't recommend things lightly. It is a solid product.

Comment

Oscar Meyer has a way with B_O_L_O_G_N_A Fried Bologna Sandwiches (Southern Style) Recipe - Food.com
              Pairs well with BPR.

Comment

Love that stuff born and raised in New Philadelphia, and still reside here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
                Click here for our review on this unique smoker