Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trail Bologna PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail Bologna PSA

If you are ever offered Trail Bologna from Ohio, just say yes. It’s incredible!!!! When I first moved to Ohio 25 years ago I was given some "Swiss and Trail" and have been loving it ever since.

It’s all beef, has quite a firm texture and beautifully seasoned. Traditionally served here in Ohio with a baby Swiss cheese (crackers optional).

Click image for larger version

Name:	29F5F6D8-49FD-47BA-9E0E-6F58557D83E2.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	1131897
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AB0AF669-CDBD-4E25-9414-4409C8DB9E58.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1131896

I love me some Loney. But seriously, smoked bologna is one of my favorite things. I also love it skillet fried with onions. Oh geez. Now I need to go buy some.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      An one can do smoked, then skillet fried, with onion, as well.

At least, this one has...

Fried bologna is also purty danged fine with some breakfast tucker; slap a lil maple syrup all up on it...pancakes, eggses, taters, grits...it pairs well with all!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 25, 2021, 06:12 AM.

My wife grew up in Dover and we have had a steady supply of Troyer’s since we have been together and I tried it for the first time. I like it with mustard, too. Love that stuff! There is a cheese house in New Philadelphia called Yaggi’s that shipped me cheese and trail while I was deployed to Iraq.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well It’s a small world. I’ve lived in Dover for my last 25 years.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s crazy! My mother in law still lives there on Buckeye St near the high school.

Why do they call it "trail"? Carryover from wagon train?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      D’oh! I was always slow in reading comprehension 🙄

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, me too. Lol, I only found out after asking almost the identical question.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      So why do they call it...

Oh, never mind...

Had yall goin, huh?

Is it available anywhere online?

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure how to post a web link but if you search Walnut Creek Cheese you can buy it there along with bulk foods and spices. The actual store is 20 minutes from me and it’s one of my favorite stores of all time.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Their Uncle Mike’s beef jerky and beef sticks are pretty tasty also.

Found it! Thanks.

Comment

I like a good ring bologna. We had some the other night with chipped potatoes, onions, and jalapenos.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv Glad I could help, Brother!

Lemme know what ya think!

Happy Thanksgivin!!!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones rednecks gotta eat, right?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon that's true enough, Brother texastweeter

Rednecks gotta eat.

Otherwise?

Well Hail!

Ain't really much dadgum fun to say "Pull my finger", now is it?

What an incredibly boring prospect fer life that is.

My favorite is Nemecek ring bologna from Slovecek's in West Texas.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Slovacek's is great. I used to drive over to Snook from College Station to stock up on their BBQ Links.

Good ring bologna makes the slicing sandwich meat stuff look ridiculous.

Comment

I grew up eating troyers trail bologna. Never questioned why it was called trail bologna. I just assumed trail bologna meant it was ring bologna instead of the wide sandwich sliced bologna. Greetings from Louisville

Comment

So, why is it called Trail Ohio?

Comment

• BBQandLove
            BBQandLove commented
            Editing a comment
            Just don’t ask why Intercourse, PA and Blue Ball, PA are named what they are.

Troyers does a lot more than trail bologna, too. They have quite the deli, and the prices are ridiculously low (at least if you can get there in person). Not sure about shipping but their Cajun turkey is fantastic, as is most all of their sausage line. There is a reason that places all over the state (and actually region now) offer their products for sale.

Find bulk foods, butter, cheese, meats, and more wholesome foods from Amish Country, Ohio. Selling Troyer Cheese and Amish Wedding Foods products.

Comment

For those of you in Iowa, the ring bologna from Kitts in Dedham (just south of Carroll) is worthy. Famous, they say. My mother grew up in the house next to it, the building was my grandfather's chicken hatchery way back. That might make me biased, but I don't recommend things lightly. It is a solid product.

Comment

Oscar Meyer has a way with B_O_L_O_G_N_A Fried Bologna Sandwiches (Southern Style) Recipe - Food.com
              Pairs well with BPR.

Comment

Love that stuff born and raised in New Philadelphia, and still reside here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here