Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bratwurst Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bratwurst Journey

So I am going to attempt my first bratwurst. I have a bunch of ground pork from my pig share. It looks to be about 80-20. I specifically requested a course grind, which is what I got. Do any of y’all have any thoughts about starting with already ground pork? I would grind half a second time and then incorporate the seasonings.

I haven’t made brats, but I’ve made sausage a number of times. I can’t help with the ground meat, as I always grind what I use. But I do double grind using the larger plate then medium, so you should be ok as you have planned.

Have fun! Looking forward to hear how it goes!

Comment

I have tried making bratwurst a number of times and have not found a recipe that I would want to make again. I live in Minnesota, and there are lots of bratwursts that I can buy that are really good.

Now, when I want to try recipes for sausage, I buy ground pork just to make it easier to try different recipes. It is usually 70-30.
      I try about 5 different recipes at a time, a pound each. I don't bother casing them, just want to see which ones I like. I haven't had a problem with the store ground pork. That has been just for trials though. I grind my own when there is a recipe I know is good.

Comment

Skip .. might have some guidance.

Plus I’m following for self curiosity..
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 8, 2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Ideally, you want to get 70/30 so adding a touch more pork fat would be good.

I am not sure about grinding already ground meat. I tried this last week actually, and it turned the meat into paste which was a total waste of time. I suspect my meat was already too finely ground so a coarse grind could be okay.

If you are using the KitchenAid attachment, be prepared for a painful session.

If you fee uncertain about the seasoning, make a small patty and fry it and see how it tastes and make an adjustment.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            zero_credit Regarding the KA, this is not the first I am reading about this. I hear it can be very difficult to use.

• IFindZeroBadCooks
            IFindZeroBadCooks commented
            Editing a comment
            It will make your sausage but it is unpleasant esp for stuffing. I gave mine to my mom after one use and bought a LEM #8 grinder.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            LEM for the win

I’ll add, break up the ground pork and freeze prior to grinding it. When I make sausage, I freeze inbetween grinding so it doesn’t get turned into paste. I don’t know if this will help you with the ground pork but just a thought.

Comment

Relax, your 80/20 will work fine. Just add 1 cup of dry milk powder per 5 pounds of meat. The proteins in the milk will act as a binder, which means a juicer brat.Keep it below 40 degrees when mixing, adding ice water as needed, and you'll be golden.

Comment

I've only make Brats a couple times so definitely no expert. This site gives a good advice though.

https://www.psseasoning.com/blogs/re...resh-bratwurst

If you need seasoning their #282 Honey Mustard is a favorite.

Comment

I used to work in a sausage kitchen long ago. I was just a laborer, so I never learned all the secret recipes. But I do know a little about the grinds. Almost all sausages would start with a course grind. Then we'd add spice and grind again with the medium or small plate, depending on what we were making. I would think with brats, the medium would be about right (depending on your set up I suppose). The small was for stuff like bologna. With a fresh sausage, I would think you could get away with 20% fat; if you are going to smoke them, I'd probably up this a bit (~30%).

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! I will keep posting my progress. I need to go buy mace first!

Comment

• IFindZeroBadCooks
                    IFindZeroBadCooks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mace? Dang. Apparently sausage making is a war zone at your place .

Meathead’s guide is unbeatable though.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...king-pictures/

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! Going to read through that later.

At my old job, I have watched the guys make 1000s of pounds of sausage. I never stuffed/cased myself, but mixed, tested for flavor profile, twisted.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo