Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bratwurst Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bratwurst Journey

So I am going to attempt my first bratwurst. I have a bunch of ground pork from my pig share. It looks to be about 80-20. I specifically requested a course grind, which is what I got. Do any of y’all have any thoughts about starting with already ground pork? I would grind half a second time and then incorporate the seasonings.

I haven’t made brats, but I’ve made sausage a number of times. I can’t help with the ground meat, as I always grind what I use. But I do double grind using the larger plate then medium, so you should be ok as you have planned.

Have fun! Looking forward to hear how it goes!

Comment

I have tried making bratwurst a number of times and have not found a recipe that I would want to make again. I live in Minnesota, and there are lots of bratwursts that I can buy that are really good.

Now, when I want to try recipes for sausage, I buy ground pork just to make it easier to try different recipes. It is usually 70-30.
      I try about 5 different recipes at a time, a pound each. I don't bother casing them, just want to see which ones I like. I haven't had a problem with the store ground pork. That has been just for trials though. I grind my own when there is a recipe I know is good.

Comment

Skip .. might have some guidance.

Plus I’m following for self curiosity..
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 8, 2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Ideally, you want to get 70/30 so adding a touch more pork fat would be good.

I am not sure about grinding already ground meat. I tried this last week actually, and it turned the meat into paste which was a total waste of time. I suspect my meat was already too finely ground so a coarse grind could be okay.

If you are using the KitchenAid attachment, be prepared for a painful session.

If you fee uncertain about the seasoning, make a small patty and fry it and see how it tastes and make an adjustment.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            STEbbq Regarding the KA, this is not the first I am reading about this. I hear it can be very difficult to use.

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            It will make your sausage but it is unpleasant esp for stuffing. I gave mine to my mom after one use and bought a LEM #8 grinder.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            LEM for the win

I’ll add, break up the ground pork and freeze prior to grinding it. When I make sausage, I freeze inbetween grinding so it doesn’t get turned into paste. I don’t know if this will help you with the ground pork but just a thought.

Comment

Relax, your 80/20 will work fine. Just add 1 cup of dry milk powder per 5 pounds of meat. The proteins in the milk will act as a binder, which means a juicer brat.Keep it below 40 degrees when mixing, adding ice water as needed, and you'll be golden.

Comment

I've only make Brats a couple times so definitely no expert. This site gives a good advice though.

Watch our step by step video on how to make fresh bratwurst. These delicious sausages are so easy to make. You'll be making homemade brats in no time.

If you need seasoning their #282 Honey Mustard is a favorite.

Comment

I used to work in a sausage kitchen long ago. I was just a laborer, so I never learned all the secret recipes. But I do know a little about the grinds. Almost all sausages would start with a course grind. Then we'd add spice and grind again with the medium or small plate, depending on what we were making. I would think with brats, the medium would be about right (depending on your set up I suppose). The small was for stuff like bologna. With a fresh sausage, I would think you could get away with 20% fat; if you are going to smoke them, I'd probably up this a bit (~30%).

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! I will keep posting my progress. I need to go buy mace first!

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mace? Dang. Apparently sausage making is a war zone at your place .

Meathead’s guide is unbeatable though.

Interested in learning how to make world class sausages at home? There are several tricks that apply to almost all sausages. Here’s a good overview with pictures that will guide you through the entire process for making homemade sausage from scratch.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! Going to read through that later.

At my old job, I have watched the guys make 1000s of pounds of sausage. I never stuffed/cased myself, but mixed, tested for flavor profile, twisted.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here