Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Best Results — Chicago Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This art is from of one of my favorite Hot Dog Stands in Chicago. Flub a Dub Chubs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	134059231_10220086108397037_1568682348872343363_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	1094589 Click image for larger version  Name:	134154982_10220086093836673_8833976034506896810_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	1094590
    Last edited by troymeister; September 14, 2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to live on Broadway and Cornelia across from the Treasure Island…..

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      That neighborhood sure went through some changes. Treasure Island has been closed for some time now.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      troymeister Please know when I lived there, it was 1992!

No way! Chicago dogs are near the top of the list of greatest dogs!

Comment

I'm gonna be the Chicagoland outsider here, and say I much prefer the hot dogs I grew up eating in New York, and even above that, the dogs we got in Connecticut. My dad, in happier times, liked to tour around the south western quarter of the state to try all the stands.

https://www.seriouseats.com/america-...es-reds-whites

Who knew that Connecticut was the mecca of hot dog variations? There's the split and grilled frank topped with homemade condiments at Super Duper Weenie's in Fairfield; the chili and Orleans dogs from the Top Dog truck in Portland; Rawley's "works" dog in Fairfield that's a natural casing deep-fried, griddled, then topped with mustard, relish, sauerkraut and crunchy bacon chunks, all in a toasted bun; and the list of beloved franks goes on. It's a state that deserves a hot dog tour in itself.
      Super Duper Weenie's was a favorite. As was Rawley's. I was mid 20's then, and that split and grilled, with a TOP SPLIT BUN is the ur-hot dog to me. And you can't get the right kind of dog here in Chicagoland... *sigh*.

The deep fry then griddle is a superior cooking method that I wouldn't bother with for home use. But I'd pay extra for that treatment.

The correct CT dog is a beef pork mix, in a lamb casing, not too spicy, not too mild.

I'm also partial to every Half-Smoke I ever had in DC, even though no two vendors sell the same sausage as a half-smoke. The clever genius of the half-smoke is that it's pretty much anything you want it to be.
      Last edited by Potkettleblack; September 15, 2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife comes from the New Haven area, and we make a trip out there on occasion. I concur that Connecticut has some fine dogs -- though I personally wouldn't put them above Chicago.

Tried Chicago dogs here before since there are transplants all over around here and I’m not a great fan. They’re good but I prefer Italian beef combo with grilled Italian sausage.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand, but you can't really compare hot dog sandwiches and Italian beef/Italian sausage sandwiches. That's like comparing fish 🐟 with beach umbrellas 🏖. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m pro-Chicago style hot dogs. But that does not make me anti- any other style hot dog.

Try a California style cheese dog: cheese dog with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo. It’s pretty damn good. It should be; there’s a hot dog in it.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        What! no avocado!?!

scottranda because we needed just one more post about hot dogs…..

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think these people realize how ridiculous they sound. More like a Chicago Snob Dog!
        Don't get me wrong, I'd eat it, pinkies extended whist quaffing a Château Lafite Rothschild Bordeaux, but I would feel pretty ridiculous. I mean, c'mon, who puts dijon mustard on a hot dog.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; September 16, 2021, 10:25 AM.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        scottranda it was just ironic that this article popped up in my trade newsletters.

CaptainMike Dijon? Right? 🤣

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike - C'mon! Grey Poupon is great on everything!

I'm TOTALLY with scottranda ! A dog, deli mustard and sauerkraut. That's it. Occasionally, I like Sabrett onions in sauce too. As an alternative, beanless chili, cheese sauce and chopped onion with a drizzle of hot sauce is also excellent. But the key is not to put too much of any ingredient on the bun. You still have to taste the dog and not drop toppings all over the place.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	stormcastle-hotdog-sandwich-dance.gif
Views:	93
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1095563

Comment

There aren't to many hotdogs I don't like. I especially like Chicago Dogs. I've eaten regional style dogs most places I've traveled and the only ones I don't care for are the Cinncinati style with that Greek pasta sauce they somehow refer to as chili. I had a chance to visit a friend in Tucson recently and had my first Sonoran Dog. I wish that was a style that was available close to home.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of hot dogs, any hot dogs.

--ducks and runs for another thread--

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Watch out fer Vienna sausages, an also lil smokies, long yer way...

keep low AF, try to follow th terrain, quietly, until ya reach yer own lines, again, Brother!

Reckon from ^^^what I done seen/learnt me,^^^ not everbody uses th zackly same approach, fer a 'Gen-Yoo-Wine' Chicago Dog,eh?

granted...even th folks from Chicagoland...

But, rye cheers mine...:

Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 17, 2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Signed: Charles Ulysses Farley

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here