Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest F$@!?NG burger ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great, but me and fish sauce aren't on good terms.

Comment

_John_ Gotta have fish sauce. A little goes a long way. Try a different brand maybe.

Comment

Ernest I was curious why you put fish sauce in your burgers. Can you elucidate?

DEW

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Fish sauce adds UMAMI, that Je ne sais quoi. Good stuff.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I get umami, but meat has umami by itself, no?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes from the marbling but the fish sauce provides the uppercut knockout umami punch. I have done side by side tasting and the fish sauce burgers always win. I haven't made a burger without fish sauce (miso paste) since the summer of 2008.

Those look amazing! It motivates me to put a stand mixer with a meat grinder attachment on my birthday wish list!

Comment

Here's a link to the grinder I purchased in 2013. I've been pretty happy with it, but I only use it occasionally. I'll be using it this weekend when I grind some Boston Butt. I usually get a full baking sheet worth of meat and grind though it in 7 minutes. I usually get around 5 lbs ground pork.

I registered the product on the LEM website and they sent be a buncha spice samples for making breakfast sausage and Italian sausage.

--Ed

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! I just put it on my birthday wish list.
            Last edited by JeffJ; February 25, 2015, 07:35 PM.

Absolutely inspirational!

Comment

Looks great. Would you mind sharing your bun dough recipe?

Comment

• (eclipse)
              (eclipse) commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry just found your recipe in breads and dough

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              glad you did. Give it a try.

Ernest man I love you. That fish sauce is absolutely bangin in the burgers. I minced a load of beef fat as I can't get tallow over here and oh wow it was good.

Comment

I'm glad you loved it MattBilling . I see you got arugula on that burger, absolutely brilliant!!

Comment

Ha ha, I had to translate that, yeah, rocket, it's lovely, peppery and fresh.

Comment

You had me at fish sauce! Mmm smelly but flavorful.

Comment

My favorite seasoning, right up there with salt.

Comment

Must have missed this one. Awesome burger, Ernest! I will have to try the fish sauce, I think I'll do a side by side comparison. Not that I don't trust you , I just wanna make sure I can taste the difference right away. Cool!

Comment

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Add about a tablespoon of fish sauce to a pound of meat. If you grind your own, add it before grinding.

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Ernest.

Ernest, I have both fish sauce which is liquid like soy sauce in a bottle, and anchovy paste which is a paste in a toothpaste tube. You say your fish sauce is miso paste? Given my two choices, what do you recommend and how much in each patty? I'll try it either tonight or tom. night.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Fish sauce is not miso paste, but both add flavor. I think he's saying he hadn't made burgers w/o one or the other or both for quite some time.

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Miso is not fish sauce but both are loaded with UMAMI. I said that I use fish sauce or Miso paste in my burgers.
                        I add about a tablespoon of fish sauce (red boat brand) to a pound of meat before grinding / forming patties.

I'm not fan of anchovy paste. Slap some anchovy fillets on a burger as you would bacon. Fantastic!

I'll second the recommendation for a LEM grinder. Mine has been a real trooper, and lets me make my own burger mix (plus take advantage of when large cuts are on sale).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here