Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite burger cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleu cheese chunks mixed into the meat and bleu cheese dressing as a topping. Yes, I love bleu cheese.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      So do I. Try some Boursin sometime, too. Really good with beef.

i like cheddar or pepper jack. if im doing a burger topped with pastrami then i like swiss

Comment

I'm going to put in a word for Manchego.

Comment

Until I was 12 or, I hated cheese. I hated it so bad that I wouldn't eat pizza. I think I had a run-in with a white bread sandwich with semi-transparent dried out American processed cheese food on it when I was 6.

Thankfully, something changed. I love all kinds now. Oh, give me some Epoisses, some Mt. Blanc. Yeah, even on burgers!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the reverse happen with chocolate milk from a gallon jug or cardboard carton. Got sick when I was a kid and threw up some choc milk, and could never drink chocolate milk from a jug again. I can mix up some Nestle or Ovaltine and I can drink gallons of it, but not out of a pre-packaged container to this day. I guess you could say I have bad trust issues...

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Understand!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          With me it was KFC chicken. Was sick for about 4 days, that was about 30 yrs ago.

I recently started doing 1 slice deli America and 1 Cheddar.

Comment

95% of the time it has to be Kraft Singles. But I also love blue cheese. I can live with cheddar but don't really care for how it melts.

I have some burgers planned for tomorrow and I have a chunk of smoked gouda I will slice up for one of them. Interested to see how that does. And there are a few random chunks of stuff in my cheese drawer like pepper jack, sharp provolone, and I think asiago. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw some of those in the mix as well.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            I enjoy a good slice of smoked Gouda on my burgers from time to time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41fdJELC9wL._SX355_.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	514791

Comment

Living in one of two cheese Mecca’s of the world, the other is Switzerland, I am surrounded buy cheese factories. I’ll buy em by the block, so whatever is in the fridge is what’s goin on the burger. I lean towards the cheddars. Sometimes I will forego the cheese & go for a sauce, various chili’s, homade etc. Never, I say, never ketchup!!! I’m also not one to put a salad on my burger & never ketchup.
            Since there is a wide array of answers and no apparent falsified winner, this is an opinion poll & not rigged.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              You're gonna ignore France?!?!?!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! In the past few years in international cheese competition, much like an olympics for cheese the two areas that have dominated are Switzerland & Wisconsin, not France or Calyfornia. Not to say there aren’t some good cheese elsewhere, just in category numbers the Big 2 have it.

Mimolette. It tastes kind of like cheddar with a Swiss funkiness.

Comment

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              I love mimolette. Never tried it on a burger but will have to do that the next time I pick some up.

Aged white cheddar or Gorgonzola for me, and it must be melted. Have you ever had the Aged White Cheddar with Caramelized Onion from Trader Joe's? Eeweeh it's good! Try it.

Comment

"Fresh Mutz" as they say here in NNJ. Mozzarella to anyone else. Pepper Jack and sharp cheddar.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait a minute, wait a minute. Blue cheese, jarlsburg...oh forget it. This question is too hard.

Man, that is a loaded question. We like smoked sharp cheddar, on most regular burgers. some of our more exotic ones get feta, blue cheese, provolone, swiss, or American. Each of which in smoked or normal variation.

Comment

I'm down with the Kraft/Velveeta crowd. If I really want to go all out I'd get white american slices from the deli, but it is not required to make me happy about my burger! My wife swears by swiss tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  For turkey burgers I prefer either a thick layer of provolone or Havarti.

For beef, I like sharp cheddar, Havarti, or colby/mild cheddar.

But my absolute favorite for beef burgers is good ol' American, the processed pre-wrapped stuff, like Kraft singles. Best burger cheese methinks.

You?
                  For Turkey Burgers, I prefer to place them on top of whatever moldy cheese is in my trash can. ;-)

For beef, depends on the other toppings. constructed sharp cheddar (one with citrate, to make it melty), brie (with rind), and real deal Fontina Valdaosta feature among favorite burgers remembered. I dislike Kraft Singles such that I give the wife dirty looks when she brings them in the house. Very little dairy flavor in them. Or really anything.

I brought back 1.25 Kilos of small producer, raw milk Fontina Valdaosta from Cogne on my last trip, that was surely the greatest cheese I've ever had. It's like the truffle of cheese, having funk, cream and luxe texture. Feet of angels stuff. I am sad because I could never get this stuff without going back to Cogne. I bought it from the cheese cooperative there, so many amazing cheeses. That'd probably be the best burger topping.
                  Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 11, 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm sure you make perfectly fine ones, but seriously, given the choice... turkey burger or 80/20 beef burger? Nevermind the 73-27, or homemade 65-35.

But note: You said a thick layer of provolone or harvarti. I rest my case (that personal preferences are personal and not universal). ;-)
                    Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 11, 2018, 01:19 PM.

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm voting black bean burgers over turkey any day.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I could see my way to that. Better fat ratio.

Although the above cheddar would be my standard burger cheese my choice of cheese depends on the type of burger, and vice versa. For instance if it's a bacon cheeseburger then a gorgonzola would be a good choice. But if it's a burger with sauteed mushrooms than swiss is the better choice. Lamburger? Feta is the right choice, and so on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here