Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you order your burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you order your burgers?

I don’t order burgers at restaurants that often, but when I do, I’m never sure how to answer when they ask how I want it (if they ask). Sometimes I’ll say medium, other times medium well, but I’m never sure. I always order steak medium rare, but I think maybe burgers should be cooked a little more? If I ordered them all the time I could make comparisons. But since I don’t, I thought I’d throw this out to the collective wisdom of the Pit. So how do you order them?

Burgers are medium for me. My steaks medium rare.

I want my burger juicy but not red.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Same - I tend to order my burgers medium and my steaks are always at medium rare.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Same.

I agree with Old Glory Medium on the burgers at least. Steaks are medium rare.

Comment

My stock answer is, “As close to medium rare as the cook’s conscience will allow.”

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Same!

Med-rare. If I don't trust a place to make a med-rare burger, I order something else. (Smashburgers excepted)

Comment

• captainlee
        captainlee commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, i really don't trust any restaurant anymore. On the rare side prepared at home.

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect answer. It depends on how well you know the place and what kind of turnover is going on in the kitchen.

The common question around here in the “ nicer” burger joints is “ pink or no pink” my answer is “ who doesn’t love pink?” My wife gives me a dirty look and I get a burger somewhere between still alive and dies in a horrible fire…

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        The question is, did it die of smoke inhalation?

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        After our granddaughter finished a hockey game last week we went out to eat before heading home. Applebee's was right next door, so that was where we went. Waitress asked for "pink or no pink?" Son in law and I ordered the same burger. He ordered his no pink, I got pink. It was pretty good, nice and juicy. One of my guilty pleasures is raw beef, including hamburger. Hasn't killed me yet.

Medium for me... yessire it is...

Comment

I've recently noticed that some of the higher end restaurants are now offering "double patties" smashed style, with great toppings and rolls, which I assume takes the question of ,"how cooked" out of the equation and insures safety as well. Fine with me because they taste great!
        BTW Steaks medium rare.

Comment

If not a smash burger, I order mine rare. As in kicking and screaming, fighting back, arguing with me, etc. Of course these days I never receive it that way. It usually comes medium well. I never complain. It’s the times.

Comment

Medium rare. If the RESTAURANT won't do that, I leave. If it's fast food you pretty much have to take what they serve.

I broke down and tried a Arby's "Wagyu Steakburger" the other day. I ordered just meat and bun. Two bites and the whole thing ended up in the trash. It may as well been a charcoal briquette considering how hard, overcooked, crunchy, and dry it was.

Comment

When asked how I would like my burger cooked, I always say "medium over a charcoal fire". Sometimes I get a smile, and sometimes not. On very rare occasions, I just get a confused look from the wait-person.
            Last edited by RonB; December 9, 2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Medium rare. I like to have a juicy burger

Comment

I don’t. Instead, I’ll typically get some sort of chicken or fish sandwich for which the “how do you want it cooked” question never comes up.

Comment

Funny (to me at least) - my first thought was "1 at a time". I haven't ordered a burger at a restaurant in ages, well except for our favorite local fast food place (used to be a Fatburger, now called "Biggies" which has no option for how it is cooked like most fast food places), or one at our golf club. Then we ask for medium 'cause you never know what the line chef is gonna do.

Comment

I like my steaks rare; burgers medium-rare to medium. Something I've noted that at a lot of places, if you order medium-rare, you get closer to rare, because they're afraid you'll complain if they overcook it, and closer to medium-well if you say medium, so the folks that are adverse to too much pink don't complain.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here