Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite non-BBQ condiments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite non-BBQ condiments?

So, last night i had a bunch of baby potatoes that needed to be cooked. I boiled them all, then smashed them. But what to season them with? Tony's? Something else? I had been watching Food Network (DDD) and one of the places they visited was a Jamaican restaurant and I remembered that I had some Pickapeppa Jerk marinade.

Well, I stirred that in with some of the smashed taters and it was GOOD. I just cooked up the rest of the potatoes for breakfast and stirred in more of the Pickapeppa as they fried. EVEN BETTER.

So, what are your handful of must-have condiments that are not BBQ related or close to it? For example, I love Tony C's seasoning but it's kind of close to a rub.

Pickapeppa just became one of mine. Another is gochujang. And a third is spicy fermented bean paste (a Sichuanese ingredient).

For the purposes of this thread, let's eliminate single ingredient condiments, e.g. soy or fish sauce, etc. I'm thinking of things you can pull off the shelf or out of the fridge and immediately give interesting, complex flavors.

Tiger sauce. I like it on so many things, everything from pork chops to eggs and hash browns.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great on ribs too. Give that a go, you will not regret it.

Tajin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	667B38AF-54F7-4AF0-A85B-4EF80D3BA976.webp
Views:	317
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1330469

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I put it on eggs and chicken. It’s great on corn, cooked carrots, zucchini, winter squashes. Sometimes I sprinkle it on soup. A little does go a long way!

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr Yes, it goes well on the rim of margarita glasses.

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven’t found anything it’s not good on!
      Popcorn to steak to eggs to bologny-sammiches…

Mrs Balls Chutney

Name:	IMG_20221119_210349.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1330474

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Love chutney. Need to find this.

We have become big fans of Rick Bayless's green chile adobo. Easy to make, will store for months in the fridge. Great on roasted vegetables. Makes a great chip/vegetable dip when mixed with Greek yogurt, sour cream, or mayo.

Comment

Pickapeppa would also be right at second place on my list. Last night when I walked into the pantry to get something I also was taking stock of what I would want to have on the shelves should a near end of the world event happen. My first choice was Duke’s mayonnaise, ‘Mother Sauce of the South.’

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I love mayo and the mayonnaise processed in RSA is more like what you guys would call "miracle whip". I do buy Hellmann's and it's excellent in comparison, but I fear I'm missing out. Based on many comments posted here Duke's is without peer.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I grew up on Hellmanns and thanks to the pit I'm a Dukes convert.

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        We bought our first jar of Duke's a couple of weeks ago. We are converts!

Malcolm Reed now touts Blue Plate as superior to Duke's. I have not been able to find Blue Plate in the Chicago area.

Forty ounces for 6-8 bucks. Cannot remember.
      chip dip, chili additive, or just a dollop on a cracker. Just found receipt. $8.49 Costco Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	1330480
      Last edited by Alan Brice; November 19, 2022, 01:23 PM. Reason: $$$

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes!!!!!! Straight from New Mexico!!! THE 505!

I didn’t know pickapeppa made jerk marinade. I’ve only used the regular pickapeppa sauce, which is very good.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Try the hot Pickapeppa.

I'm addicted to the original Sriracha!!!

Name:	image.png
Views:	304
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	1330490

Comment

I like Pickapeppa, but it is so unique that I have to really want exactly that to use it. The hot Pickapeppa is really freakin’ good!

Comment

I LOVE Heaven Made Products "Neu Bay".

It's a riff on [= better than] Old Bay seafood seasoning. I use it on the usuals of course, shrimp, fish, etc, since it's not really supposed to be a BBQ seasoning. But, me being me, I've found that it's wonderful on other things, it makes my most favorite grilled pork chops on earth. Burgers, eggs, you name it, it's just good. If you like Old Bay, this is less harsh, less salty, but with all the goodness.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          This

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, but I gotta say I think you mean improvisation instead of riff. Riff is just the band doing the same thing repeatedly while the creative soloist does his/her thing. 😉

As a musician at heart, this has always bugged me.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Ok, but jazz riffs are typically improvisations, so there's that. Plus, we're talking cooking so in this context it contains many of the same 'notes' in the same proportions as the original, thus still being a "riff".

Ketchup and Tabasco sauce blended together.

Various flavored balsamic vinegars

Comment

Name:	1B94D4C6-826D-453E-AEE1-17EE5BCD4734.webp
Views:	294
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1330534

nnn

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            o.O

• Reds Fan 5
            Reds Fan 5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Love Melinda’s taco sauce.

Green Tabasco,put it on eggs potatoes rice and more! Click image for larger version

Name:	12E9AD87-8309-4542-B16B-8757A2698249.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1330543

Comment

• Bob K
            Bob K commented
            Editing a comment
            Love this stuff so much I started making my own in ~24oz batches!

Teriyaki sauce and chili bean paste. They are also good mixed together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here