Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lemon Curd, Where Have You Been All My Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemon Curd, Where Have You Been All My Life?

We tried Henrik 's smoked lamb burger recipe for dinner last night and one of his ingredients was lemon curd. Never heard of it before and doubted they would have such an exotic delicacy at our local fine food purveyor here in the gastronomical wasteland of The Great State of Jefferson so I grabbed a recipe off of the interwebs and trotted off to the market.

Now I figured it was gonna cost at least $15 bucks to make a batch of LC, but before I gathered up all of the necessaries I took a peek at the tiny International food section, specifically the British segment, and wouldn't you know it there were several jars of Mackays Lemon Curd just sitting there gathering dust. I grabbed one, brought it home and gave it a taste. WOW, that stuff is good! A really nice sweet lemony tart, kind of like a Meyer lemon or a lemon bar, and it was great with the smoky lamb. Collette did a double schmear of cream cheese and LC on an English muffin this morning and loudly commanded that I procure more of the citrus delight! Needless to say, there are 3 less jars of lemon curd gathering dust at our local gourmet food shoppe!

If any of y'all have never tried it, and like that lemony tart flavor, then give it go. I'm sure there will be other uses for it now that I have some in the pantry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lemon curd.jpg Views:	105 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	1165256
    Last edited by CaptainMike; January 26, 2022, 10:12 AM.

When we first started dating, the better half insisted on baking whatever birthday cake I could find. I selected a lemon meringue cake that used lemon curd that she will never let me forget that she made from scratch. She’s going to be very upset that it can be found in a jar 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon curd is sweet But the curd of the poor lemon is favorable to eat.

Thanks for tip.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; January 25, 2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure, Trini!

I also am a lemon lover.

I got a box of S.Martino, Crema al Limone in my Christmas basket from the boss.
      It has two packets of powder, to make a lemon pudding (?) to fill a tart. I made one and ate it as pudding. Delicious as it was, I may save the other packet for this.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; January 25, 2022, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        All the world loves a lemon lover!

Now ya need to find some lime curd...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        They go well with 7-up

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Made from organic un-cola nuts!

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought my mum's lemon curd was the bomb until she used some of my limes in it instead. Man it is something we only get off her occasionally, as both of us just take to it with spoons, awesome stuff!!

The stuff is crack for sure! Glad you found it now!i found it in 2019 for the first time.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems the English have kept this a well-hidden secret for some time! Probably still miffed cuz we gave 'em the boot, but maybe they forgave us.

My Father in law is Maltese, there used to be a huge British influence on the island and one big influence was the English love for the lemon so much so even today we will sit down to bacon and eggs with beans and home fries.
      At the head of the table is the FIL eating a Lemon Meringue pie....
      Whaddya gunna do, as a child he sat in the starving catacombs as the Island was bombed all hours of the day and night.
      Let him eat....

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, Malta was a hotly contested battle.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike He NEVER used to talk about it, the MIL was a bit more open before she passed.
        The one thing that is a constant, the fridge/freezer and cupboards /pantry's are always jammed with food in that house...his response, try having next nothing to eat for weeks going into months....you'd stock up too.
        Hard to argue his logic on this one.

Next you'll be wantin' clotted cream!

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe we need a thread for Spotted Dick.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Toad-in-the-hole

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Haggis. Mmmmmmm haaaaggis...........

My in laws are from N Zealand and the UK, so lemon curd has been on my radar for a while. It is the bomb!

Pound cake, scones, lemon pie, pavlova... Yes, please. The jarred version is very good, but the stuff my wife makes will make your eyes roll back in your head.

Great find!

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Would love to have the recipe if your wife is willing to share.

I tried lemon curd last month for the first time, it was delicious. Now I need to figure out how to make it and can it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        The recipes I saw were simple ingredients and easy to make. I would think pressure canning to be safe.

You had me when you mentioned lemon bars. Good grief I love those! At one time I thought nothing could be as good as a fudge brownie, but a good lemon bar can best it. I will be trying lemon curd ASAP.

Comment

Great to hear other people are discovering this treat! I use it a lot for barbecue, the lemony tang and the sweetness is a perfect match for bbq. These are my latest recipes with lemon curd posted here in the pit:

Smoked lamb burger stuffed with bacon

Wildboar tenderloin, stuffed with figs and glazed with lemon curd

It's really versatile.

As for the clotted cream: love it too! I did one attempt att making it myself, epic fail. Will try again by making it in the oven instead. I'll report back when I have figured it out.

Comment

This is homemade from a market and is really good stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20220126110905.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1165454

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Slogan: "I go bonkers for Bunkers!"

If you have lemons, butter, eggs, and sugar, you can make lemon curd.

Here's an easy recipe -- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...est-lemon-curd

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I had one from the Food Network, same ingredients and super easy recipe.

Fortunately I can find lemon curd at my local grocers and have been using for years, probably because both my parents were British. I have never used on a lamb burger but it is on my radar to try. In the past I always went with taziki and feta cheese

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here