Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked lamb burger stuffed with bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked lamb burger stuffed with bacon

Hey burger lovers!

I figured I should do something slightly different. I absolutely love smash burgers, but every now and then I crave a classic burger. And I wanted to use ground lamb meat. And smoke it, and stuff it with bacon. You see, most people put a strip or two of bacon ON the burger. Ain't nothing wrong with that, I'm a bacon lover myself. So I thought: if bacon is so darned good, why not stuff the burger with it, putting bacon IN the burger?

Said and done. Here's a fun way of cooking up a tasty burger on your grill, and just pack it with flavor, layer after layer.

Makes: 4 burgers

Ingredients:
    • 1.1 lb ground lamb meat
    • 2 tbsp Barbecue rub (use your favorite)
    • 2 yellow onions
    • 3.5 oz Swiss cheese
    • 3.5 oz Chevre cheese
    • 4 lettuce leaves
    • 4 burger buns
    • 2 tbsp Lemon curd
    • 4 tbsp Chipotle chili glaze (or sweet chili sauce if you don't have any)
    • 1 oz butter (for frying)
    • 10 oz bacon (2 packages)
    • 0.5 tsp salt

Instructions
    Peel the onions and cut in half. Slice thin and fry on medium heat in lots of butter in a frying pan. Move to the side.

Now fry the bacon until crispy. Two packages is what I use (280 grams). Let it cool off and then chop finely with a knife.

Add the lamb meat to a bowl and add the salt. Now add the bacon, and mix with your fingers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger-04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.6 KB ID:	1162755

Shape 4 equal size patties. Sprinkle the bbq rub on top of all 4 burgers.

Smoke the burgers on your grill (I used a PK TX) at 120° C / 250° F for 20 minutes with 2 chunks of hickory. When their internal temp is 45°C / 113° F you open the lid and stoke the fire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger-06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	337.2 KB ID:	1162754

Now sear the burgers over high direct heat to give them a little color and to bring up internal temp to 52° C / 126° F.

Assembly
    The ingredients and order is well thought out, but feel free to riff if you feel like it. From bottom to top:

Bottom bun
    Lemon curd
    Fried onion
    Patty
    Swiss cheese
    Lettuce
    Chevre cheese
    Chipotle glaze (or sweet chili glaze)
    Top bun

And there you have it! A real tasty, smoked burger, stuffed with bacon and jam packed with tasty goodness.

Bottom bun with lemon curd and fried onion

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger-08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.8 KB ID:	1162753

First layer of cheese

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger-09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.3 KB ID:	1162756

Lettuce, patty and second layer of cheese

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger-12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.5 KB ID:	1162757

And it's done. Dig in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-lamb-burger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	379.7 KB ID:	1162758
    Last edited by Henrik; January 21, 2022, 09:27 AM.

Nice. I have some ground lamb from my sister I want to use some of soon.

Comment

Lemon curd, eh? Sounds interesting and I just happen to have a couple of Meyer lemons that need to get used.

Comment

What an unusual but delicious looking combination Hank. I love lamb fixed any way but never done burgers with it. It's now on the list (of course everything goes better with bacon !!!)

Comment

This looks awesome. Thanks for sharing. I have done burgers before using a mix of ground lamb and pork, but using bacon is next level.

Comment

I'd put on my viking hat from ullr fest and row to Scandinavia for one of those!

Comment

Oh, bacon. You can't go wrong with some bacon!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Word 👊

I used to get burgers, they called them Balkan Burgers, from a stand when I was stationed in Germany. Loved the cheese, but never have been able to recall what it was. Looking at your Chevre, I think that was it. Gotta try it now. Thanks.

Lamb burger looks amazing!
              Last edited by Murdy; January 22, 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Henrik, that looks amazing, I am a huge fan of lamb. I was thinking to myself goats cheese might pair pretty good with that and then I looked up what Chèvre cheese was and I guess I got my answer lol.
                Last edited by gmascolo51; January 25, 2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! Yes, chevre/goat cheese hits the spot :-)

I did these last night, Hank. Some great layers of flavor, especially the lemon curd. I was gathering the ingredients to make a lemon curd when I decided to check the tiny "international" section at our local market and wouldn't you know it, there were several jars of lemon curd in the "British" section! That stuff is pretty good and I'm going to grab a couple more for the pantry.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool! Great to hear you tried them :-) Yes, Lemon curd is something I discovered when living in London for a year, love that product. Very versatile.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here