Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breast? To spatch cock or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breast? To spatch cock or not?

I'm going to be smoking a bone in Turkey breast today that weighs 10 lbs. Would you guys suggest spatch-cocking the breast or doing it whole? I'm using a Weber kettle and plan to cook it around 325 to 350 degrees. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I go a step beyond spatchcocking and just fillet the meat off the ribcage. You will be doing this at some point regardless, and you can season it evenly all over this way. Also allows for more even cooking.

Comment

I cook turkey breast whole .... but I can definitely see where Steve’s method would give you a nice all around seasoning and bark on it.

Comment

I'd actually lean toward whole. Spatchcocking gives you more surface to season and char, but also opens up more area to drying and overcooking. If you do it watch your internals or you might end up with a piece of dried sawdust.

Comment

In the end I'm going with whole. it's on now. If it doesn't work out as well this time, next time I'll resort to hacking off the breasts.

Comment

I failed to mention that I go with a slightly modified version of Aaron Franklin's method. The only thing I change is to add some granulated garlic (because garlic) and just enough paprika to give it more color. It might be the easiest thing to smoke, and it's always a big hit.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow this sounds delicious. I can't believe I didn't flag it in his book that I own. Thanks, Steve R.

K.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Page 173 of Franklin Barbecue - A Meat-smoking Manifesto. fzxdoc 😃

I've only ever done whole. I am certainly no turkey expert, nor an anything else expert. Just might hafta try Steve's Aaron Franklin recipe.

Comment

Because you already have some good advice here, to which I can't really add anything, and in order to assuage my pedantic side, by definition, one can only spatchcock a whole bird, you'd be butterflying the breast, not spatchcocking it. :-)

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                You took the words right out of my mouth. 😂

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here