Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The beer can chicken debate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beer can chicken debate...

Just got finished watching Food: Fact or Fiction Season 3, Episode 20, Gone Camping (think it was originally aired Mar 2018) where they also debunked the beer can chicken process in a side by side test. I was watching to see if they referenced AmazingRibs or Meathead but they didn't. However, even they called it a beer cozy. They basically stated everything that Meathead had in his article. Outside (breast area) of beer can chicken was 190 by the time the inside was 165. Regular chicken was 170 and 160 respectively. Beer can was dry and regular was juicier. They even gave the reason why the beer can chicken skin was crispy (more because it was vertical). It looks cool and in some cases is a way to save space for other things. I would definitely want to catch the dripping, though. Chicken hanging in the PBC is always great.

Yeah, back home LOTS of chicken was grilled over charcoal for fundraisers and the PBC takes that stuff up a notch.

Even my dad stopped using the beer can (Budweiser or die guy) years ago and just started using those vertical roasters.

Comment

Using the vertical roaster without the can of beer is great, though .... almost as good as rotisserie or spatchcocked

Comment

There is a double vertical beer can chicken toaster on Amazon that’s been in my wish list for about 6 months but haven’t pulled the trigger.

Sparchcocked is my go to these days.

Comment

Visiting friends in Savannah a while back. They wanted to do beer can chicken for us. Talked them into using the racks but no can. Came out great. Click image for larger version

Name:	3643B62A-B523-4BE1-A6EC-E0B6E11CB86A.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	610488

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks like a husband and wife that just got into a heated argument

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          VERY heated, I would say Troutman.

Originally posted by JimLinebarger View Post
        It looks cool and in some cases is a way to save space for other things.
        THIS ^^^

I used to do beer can chicken, but then learned the errors of my ways. On my offset I have the clearance to stand the chickens up though, and fit a lot more on there - probably a dozen vertical, versus half that spatchcocked. I basically just stand them up and use the legs to form a tripod, and the chicken stays up on its own during the cook.

All that said, over the past year I've grown to prefer spatchcocked or just split chickens and cook the halves, as they cook faster and more evenly. Since I got my Oxo poultry shears, splitting chickens is no longer a pain in the butt. If I am taking chicken to a friend or someone from my life group at church as a meal, I will still sometimes cook it whole, as its a more "standard" presentation.

Comment

I just love beercan chicken.. Never dry and taste great..

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            It may be working for you because the chickens are sitting in small pans, allowing the cans to conduct heat and allowing the juices to baste the chickens to some extent.

Do you inject or brine the chickens?

It's funny, because people who write into the free side of the site love to light this article up. The beer-can chicken article and the article on the dangers of sprouts gets the most fireworks on the whole site. So much so, that we simply defer them to Meathead. He is always the best at handling this argument. People love their Beer-can-chicken and they love their sprouts!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            I just went in to that sprouts article. Plenty of laughs in the comments section!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah, people get all kinds of worked up. Hulagn1971

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad I found this post. Read the sprouts thing (wouldn't have otherwise as I don't care for them). You really just can't help some things when people really "believe" one thing. It is faith-based and the facts won't change their minds. Sad really.

On the flip side, it's nice to know I have a reason to never eat sprouts.

Sweaty Paul

Such a stupid argument if you ask me. All one has to do is try it with or without, look at the remaining beer in the can, use a little common sense (something apparently 60% of the population lacks) and what other conclusion can you derive?? To me there's no debate needed.

Comment

I've done beer can chicken (couple years now). Always thought it turned out OK. I'm curious, so I'll do the A/B comparison. It'll keep me off the streets. Don't know when I'll get to it. 1st step, get chickens.

Comment

Always remember to open the can ... otherwise it can get messy ...

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                Some call that a senior moment. I just call it CRS.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                LMFAO Brother MBMorgan!!!!
                JimLinebarger Thanks fer postin that, Brother! (I couldn't remember what it was called! )
                got a great CRS story, though...

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Cracked me up and made me laugh...Thank you!

I now generally spatchcock and imo it always turns out the best.
              I HAD cooked plenty beer can chickens over the last 10 years and I think it was the novelty that was the highlight. The chicken wasn't bad but not near as good as spatchcocked.

Comment

I'm no trained Chef, nor a pitmaster, but I reckon I know a thing, mebbe even two, on a good day, so here goes:

Th yardbird goes inside of yer cooker, an th beer can goes outside...

Jus sayin

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan True Dat!!!!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Master the fundamentals, and the rest will follow!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF it's jus that simple, Brother!
                  Ya nailed It!

My Primo came with a ceramic beer can chicken roasted. I use it without the beer can.

Comment

I never use the can. But the rack makes for some nice chicken! Click image for larger version

Name:	can.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	610808

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                    Sweaty Paul commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like the looks of that. Game changer.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here