Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP..How Long In A Brine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP..How Long In A Brine?

We have been expecting relatives to come visit from out of state. Wanting to greet them with a smoked whole turkey for their first meal here. I've unthawed the bird in the fridge for several days and placed it in a wet brine around noon on Friday thinking I would remove from brine around noon today (Sat.) inject, let rest for a short time for the injected parts to saturate and then get it on the MAK II star around 2 PM today. Well we get a call late last night and they are not going to be here as planned but a day later. My question is can I leave the bird in the wet brine for roughly 48 hours without ill effect? If not recommended I'll go ahead and resume with original plan and they can have left overs. I sure would appreciate your advice on this. First time smoking a turkey so want to do as much correctly as I can. Thanks in advance.

Since yer maintainin food safe temps, I cain't see as how it will harm anything...I usually like to go at least 24 hours.

When I have marinaded chicken, I often put it in Wed night, fer Sattiday use, an flip it mornin when I git up, evenin afore I go to bed, each day, durin th interim.

Comment

2 days in the brine is fine. After that is when it starts tasting like bologna (as my wife says).

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

Comment

I would pull it and keep in the refrigerator but that’s me the Contrary

Comment

Agree with the EdF dude. I brine mine for two days all the time. It’ll be cool. Enjoy. Don’t forget the pics man.

Comment

Depends on your brine strength. How much salt to liquid? How big is the bird? I don't see a reason for any injection after a long brine you will have plenty moisture in the bird by just brineing it.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto on the injection, don’t mine either.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I still inject regardless....it's all about the butter baby !!!

It won't help you today but I like to dry brine my birds for three days in the fridge. I spatchcock the bird, then just dust with kosher salt, bag in a turkey cook bag and refrigerate. On day three I rub butter mixed with your choice of herbs under the skin. That's when I go to the grill on indirect heat at 225 or so. It cooks faster and incredibly juicy! You can cambro for a few hours as well if you are done too early.

Comment

SMO has the right idea. I inject tge breasts and butterball them.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup and yup

I'll be saving this due to the wonderful suggestions all around.

Comment

Here's a Norman Rockwell variation for festive events. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey
                  Last edited by EdF; September 9, 2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks fer bumpin that, Brother!
                    Turkey Time is almost upon us, again!

I dry brine turkey, too .... spatchcock it, then get the kosher salt under the skin and directly on to the thighs and breasts. Also lightly dust the skin, too. It helps dry out the skin, which leads to much crispier skin, in my experience. I like to dry brine in the fridge for at least 24 hours, preferably 48.

Cooking a turkey in the summer: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ummer-turkey-p

Comment

Depends on brine strength. If it’s an equilibrium brine, no problem. If it’s an oversalt brine, no. You will ruin your bird. If you don’t know, it’s not an equilibrium brine and you should remove the turkey from the brine at the normal schedule, rinse and refrigerate until you cook.

Ive over brined poultry before. It’s not good.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahhh so that's why they call you the Salty Old Dog !!!

Well it turned out receiving rave reviews from those who partook. Unfortunately I didn't take time to take any photos. I got so absorbed in the things I needed to accomplish in a short time I dropped that ball. Anyway thanks again to all who responded. As expected the advise was spot on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here