Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pomegranate-Orange Glazed Quail with Tabouli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pomegranate-Orange Glazed Quail with Tabouli

Although I'm a huge fan of and will continue to post on SUWYC, it seems the posting of full blown cooks with recipes included has fallen off quite a bit. I for one enjoy the great pix from everyone but sometimes I really want to get into the cooks mind and see how it was ultimately prepared. Anyway, I encourage everyone to post more in the main recipe channels.

Today I've gone a little Mediterranean. We had a bumper crop of pomegranates this season and outside of making juice, I decided to whip up a pomegranate-orange barbecue sauce to glaze some quail that I planned to Vortex roast in my kettle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quail 02.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	555541

As I was dry brining the quail, I also decided to whip up a Tabouli salad to stay with the Mediterranean theme. For those who have never had the classic salad it very popular in the Middle East, it's a grain based salad with lot's of veggies and citrus. It's usually made with bulgur wheat but for my salad I used quinoa instead. It's also delicious with cous-cous, which is a pasta rather than a grain but the texture is very similar, I actually prefer it to the grain based....

Tabouli

1 1/2 cups of cooked grain (bulgur, quinoa or cous-cous), allowed to cool in the fridg
    1 diced cucumber
    1 diced red onion, small to medium
    1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
    1 bunch of cilantro (classically it's lots of parsley but I prefer the cilantro) finely chopped
    Zest and juice from 1 lemon
    Zest from 1 and juice from 1/2 an orange
    1/2 cup of olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

Simply combine all dry ingredients. Make the dressing from the lemon, orange and olive oil and mix with the salad. Refrigerate for a few hours to meld all the flavors. Serve cold.

Name:	quail 08.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	555542

Now for the star of the show. After seasoning with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon, I set up the Vortex and let her rip wide open. Here are my quail about half way through the cook......

Name:	quail 03.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	555543

Like all poultry I ran it hot and fast, total cook time about 45 minutes. During the final 20 minutes or so I glazed them with a pomegranate-orange sauce I cooked up.....

Pomegranate-Orange BBQ Sauce

1 small onion chopped
    1 cup pomegranate juice
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup of molasses
    3 tablespoons of light brown sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    1/2 cup of ketchup
    1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
    Salt & pepper

Sweat down the onion in a pan with a little oil until translucent. To that add the juices, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce by about 1/2. Salt and Pepper to taste. Once it thickens and reduces, take it off the burner and allow it to cool a bit. Add the ketchup and the Dijon. Whisk until all ingredients are combined. Should be rather thick, coating the back of a spoon.

After glazing I cooked the birds for about 15 or 20 minutes. The glaze nicely caramelized and surprisingly didn't leave a sweet after taste as I thought it might. Was delicious.....

Name:	quail 04.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	555544

Round 2 saw the kettle loaded with some bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers and some halved peaches for dessert served with a little vanilla ice cream....

Name:	quail 05.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	555545

Name:	quail 07.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	555546

Name:	quail 06.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	555547

Turned out to be a pretty good meal. Family gobbled it all down, just a few leftovers. That in and of itself says a lot !! Of course I also had to wash it all down with some local brew fondly called GWB.....

Name:	quail 09.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	555548

Name:	quail 01.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	555549

"These are great days we're living bros !! We're jolly green giants walking the earth....with spatchulas !!"

Troutman Steve is out !!!! Show me your Recipes !!!

*** slow clap ***

Comment

Amazing looking cook! That vortex looks amazing. I also love Great White Buffalo!

Comment

Amazing! Stupendous! Spectacular! BRAVO Sir! Another excellent cook and write-up from the Troutman. 5 forks to you sir.

Comment

Damn, now I’m hungry

Comment

Ugh...i havent grilled in a while. Been traveling a lot and just generally busy. This is making my mouth water pretty bad. Looks amazing.

Comment

Freeking outstanding! WOW!

Is the Tabouli recipe yours or just the sauce?

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Tabouli was from the internet (or maybe You Tube can't remember). It's an ancient Middle Eastern recipe.

Daaang Troutman! Now you make us all look like amateurs. Excellent cook! I’m a big fan of Taboulleh, I stick to parsley though. It’s hard for me to find quail around here, but I sure would like to try this recipe!

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Cornish hens seem a decent substitute...

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I've become fond of cilantro but the parsley version is good if used in moderation. The original recipe is too loaded with the stuff imo.

That glaze sounds amazing!! Great looking cook.

Comment

Fantastic brother!! Thank you for the glaze.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My pleasure, it was a good one !!

Wow man, this whole meal is speaking my language! Wild or farm raised quail?

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just frozen quail from the grocery store, farm raised. Eat them all the time, love them !!!

Fantastic write up brother! Those pictures are unbelievable. And I am going to be making that sauce for sure!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, the sauce was a winner for sure !!

I will be using this recipe as well, exactly as you've done. Can't wait and thanks - brava, braVISSImo, BRAVIS!

Comment

I'm loving this post brother and cilantro runs through my veins. But... parsley is Bomb Diggaty! @Henrick agrees!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do. It should be loaded with parsley!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK that being said, we now have a new recipe....Troutman's 'Bouli ....... boola, boola

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bwahahaha

A really great cook all around. I've never grilled quail but I've wanted to for a while now. Yours looks fantastic. ABT's are awesome and I love grilled peaches of any kind. Outstanding job.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here