Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teriyaki Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teriyaki Chicken

Cooked my "Famous throughout my own backyard teriyaki chicken" tonight. The tough part about it is deboning all the thighs. Other than that, it’s pretty easy. Dry brine the chicken for at least 1 hour, preferably 24. Set up your grill for 2 zones. Cook the thighs on the indirect side to an internal temp of 160. Cook over direct heat, skin side down, until the skin is a crispy golden brown. Move the thighs around and control your heat so that you don’t burn them. Let them rest for 5-10 minutes .... slicing immediately after coming off the grill won’t work well. Slice into 4-5 slices each, serve with rice and your favorite teriyaki sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC6EF1E5-B632-48D1-AD22-5B7B907E8693.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	510140Click image for larger version

Name:	C1309A74-2B7F-411D-B81F-01F376ECBCBE.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	510141Click image for larger version

Name:	91101D81-7A42-4EB5-924D-D412F60FF308.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	510142Click image for larger version

Name:	B161A6CD-8B7C-4762-81FF-F29BC29BAD9E.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	510138Click image for larger version

Name:	A19A9176-D24E-40E3-8487-826846993793.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	510139 ​​​​​​​

Chicken Thigh Deboning - Whizard Trimmer - YouTube

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting .... do you have one?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I observe 18-20 debone about 30,000 pounds of thighs.

• BBQ_Steve-O
      BBQ_Steve-O commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if the Wizard Trimmer comes with that steel mesh glove. Probably a good idea have one of those on hand (pun intended).

Looks good ecowper ! Thanks! What Teriyaki sauce are you using?

Comment

Teriyaki sauce works very well with both beef and chicken.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        .... pork, too

@BBQ_Steve_O

I make my own

1/2 cup table sugar
      1/2 cup soy sauce
      1 minced/crushed garlic clove (or more to taste)
      1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
      2 tbsp Mirin rice wine
      1 tsp corn starch

1. Whisk corn starch into rice wine, set aside
      2. Mix remaining ingredients in small sauce pan
      3. Bring sauce to a simmer over med-low heat
      4. Once simmering, stir in mirin/starch mixture
      5. Simmer on low heat until reduced to desired thickness

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thief!!! That is my teriyaki sauce recipe. Just kidding. The only thing different in mine is a healthy splash of rice vinegar.

It is also very good on grilled salmon.

What temp are you using for indirect?

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        300F .... give or take

I'll resurrect this thread to say I made this recipe this week and we loved it! I was skeptical that plain chicken thighs with salt would turn out, but it was perfect and much better than what I can get at restaurants. The sauce was excellent too. The crispy skin added a new dimension to it. My kids ate the leftovers for the next two days. If you haven't tried this recipe yet, give it a try.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, glad to hear that it worked for you

I'll have to try this method. I learned how to make a similar grilled chicken from my BIL (he is Hawaiian - I think I posted his recipe as 'Hawaiian Chicken' here a few years back). I marinade the chicken before grilling. Its good but the skin isn't very crispy so maybe just salting and grilling and adding the marinade at the end is the answer.

He also gave me the Shoyu Chicken recipe that I posted here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ch-oven-recipe

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve done Meathead’s Huli Huli chicken and it came out fairly crispy. But pretty much every other marinaded chicken I’ve tried was an issue for crispy skin.

I have been doing wings in a similar way occasionally when using the Vortex in my Kettle. I do glaze with sauce for the last 10 mion though.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I make a quickie teriyaki chicken on the stove ….. debone the thighs, leave skin on. Cook hot, skin side down, until well browned and crispy, flip and cook until almost done. Add 1 tbsp each of Mirin and Sake and 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce. Cook, flipping the chicken every 20 seconds, or so, until the sauce glazed on the chicken and thickened. Serve immediately.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here