Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moist and Tender Chicken With a Crispy Skinned Exterior

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    message #52.2, a little above this one. I generally also put black pepper on it, and cook indirect. Additional herbs on the outside do not hurt.

• Breaktheory
    replied
    What’s everyone’s favorite way to cook a whole chicken? I have one dry brining in the fridge right now

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    If indirect experiment in the 375 degree range (see how your rig does between 350-400) and then if you need to finish it direct to crisp up the skim do so. But chicken is great cooked direct. W a Kamado it all depends on the distance away from the flame. You’ve got to play w it to find your sweet spot.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with Henrik . Kamados run moister than some other cookers, so you want a higher temp.

One of my tricks with the BGE is to bring the temp up to 450, put the bird on, then throttle it down to 350 for chicken, or 325 for turkey. Gets the job done. For prep, overnight dry brine in the open in the fridge, then oil between the skin and meat. Butter or oil on the outside. Avoid anything moist.
    Last edited by EdF; July 25, 2018, 12:55 PM.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    I would run the grill hotter next time.

• Breaktheory
    replied
    Last night did a roast chicken on my Kamado

5 pound chicken
    Wet brined with salt and stock
    herbal rub with small amount of sugar
    No water pan

Threw on indirect 325 on Kamado for 2 hours until 165 IT

Chicken was juicy and delicious but skin was fatty and soggy...

What did I do wrong?!

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I usually dry brine with the rub, mad mike , and I don't really measure. Most commercial rubs have so much salt in them that the dry brining step is included when using them.

I always rub the muscle under the skin with the rub, then smooth the skin back down and rub the skin only with a mixture of rub and baking powder--usually about a tablespoon of rub plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder mixed together. That helps dry the skin. Some folks here use baking soda in place of the baking powder in the mixture, but my family can taste something odd with baking soda and taste nothing with baking powder.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 24, 2018, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea, Troutman. I balked at the price as well. I may pick up half an ounce and compare the taste to ground toasted fennel seed.

K.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    My porcetta recipe recently posted called for fennel pollen. At $6-16/oz I opted to grind fennel seed instead. Stuff is expensive!!!

• mad mike
    replied
    When you dry brine the chicken how much salt do you use? I use 1/2 teaspoon per pound on beef brisket. Do you salt under the skin or over it?

Leave a comment:

• steve_woolston
    replied
    I tried an interesting technique on a turkey and should work on a chicken as well. I watched several you tube videos on turkey preparation - saw one chef who said to pour boiling water over the turkey to render subcutaneous fat, to help crisp the skin. I tried this after spatchcocking and was amazed at the immediate results. I dry brined with kosher salt and S&G rub and baking powder, injected meat with margarine, refrigerated about 6 hours. Cooked on Weber kettle over KBB with apple wood at 325-340 about 2 hours to 160 in breast. Removed from heat and rested about 20 minutes before carving, but did not tent. Skin wasn't quite as crispy as I hoped, but chilly, damp weather conditions may have had an effect. Truth be told, I'm not a big skin fan anyway. The turkey itself was excellent.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the link, JCBBQ . I'll try it!

K.

• JCBBQ
    replied
    fzxdoc "tastes like pure summer joy" - That's so funny, I thought last night, as a couple inches of snow came down, "huh, this chicken reminds me of summer"

Mudkat you won't regret it.

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc it aint cheap but it's delicious. This is what I bought. It'll last a while too.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I found this article on fennel pollen. The "shaken from the wings of an angel" and "tastes like pure summer joy" quotes sounded a bit much, but I'm game. Should be fun to try.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here