Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moist and Tender Chicken With a Crispy Skinned Exterior

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Love the Bogle red.

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    That is bee-you-ta-full! 😎

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    Nice job!

• Blowingsmoke
    replied
    Just finished my first cook!

Smoker: WSM 18.5"
    Charcoal with applewood (two fist sized chunks)
    Temp: 325
    Water in water-pan: Yes - filled up halfway.
    Meat: Simon & Garfunkel Chicken - spatch-cocked with a sweet potato
    Weather: 30 degrees with freezing rain

I followed meathead's Simon and Garfunkel recipe, and put the Simon & Garfunkel rub on the sweet potato as well. I cooked the chicken at 325 until it was 160 and pulled it off. The sweet potato lagged behind a little bit, so I threw it in the microwave for a few minutes. It was soooooo juicy! I've never had a bird come off the grill like this before. The flavor was outstanding, the texture was perfect, and the skin was nice and crispy. The next time I make this, I'm going to cook at 350 per the method outlined by Huskee. I will also use less applewood. Maybe just half of a fist-size, or maybe none at all. Dealing with the freezing rain made things a little challenging, but I babysat the smoker and everything turned out great. Unfortunately, I was so excited for my first cook that I forgot to write anything in my cooking log. Oh well. Cheers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4078.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	258718Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4071.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.58 MB ID:	258712Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4073.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	258713Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4074.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	258710Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4075.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	258716Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4076.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	258711Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4077.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	258717Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4079.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	258714Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4080.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	258715
    Last edited by Blowingsmoke; January 2, 2017, 06:54 PM. Reason: added water-pan detail.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Brinton
    replied
    After reading The Food Lab pages 360-3 I stopped taking the breast meat up to 160. Using the SNS and reverse searing the breast takes more than 8 minutes to go from 145-150 and I end up resting it additionally while the thighs/legs go up to 170. It's safe at 150 after 2 minutes or 145 after 8 minutes more then enough time cooking at 325. Once the thighs get to 170 I give a light sear and the skin is good. I like a little char. The breast is unbelievably juicy. I could never get that level at 160 no matter how much brining wet or dry. Wings I cremate. I almost never cook whole birds.

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    replied
    The farm raised chicken below was spatchcocked and cooked on the SnS average temp about 360 +/-. It was seasoned with Weber Kickin Chicken and fresh sprigs of lemon thyme were put under the skin. This chicken has yielded the absolute best skin I have ever had. It was thicker than store bought, had more flavor and crisped up beautifully. There is really something to be said about farm to table. The red cabbage slaw was from our garden

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	192944 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9954.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	192945 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9953.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	192946 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9956.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	192947

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    @Spinacker, I Am An Old Tom Cat Off The Farm! Too Damned Old, but I guess if you consider the alternative?
    🌼🌷🎃🌷🌼 Dan

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Hahaha, now thats an old farm saying if I've ever heard one!! Nah, man I did this one last night. I have the brisket going now. Threw that baby on this morning at 5. Danjohnston949

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker, You must have Went Out With The Tom Cat this morning If You Already Cooked that Chicken! 👍👍😇👍👍. Dan

• Spinaker
    replied
    I already posted this picture on the KBQ page but, I thought I would contribute anyway.
    I take the bird, rinse it under cold water. Then I pat it dry, and set it on the cutting board. I usually don't spatch it, I like to keep it whole. After I pat it dry, I dust it with baking soda to help make that skin extra bite through. Then i dust it with my rub or I use Meathed's Simon & Garfunkel rub under the skin. I then place it in a stainless tray on a elevated rack. This allows the air to circulate under the bird over night. I leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. I think this makes all the difference in the world when it comes to bite through skin.
    The next day, i get the smoker fired up and add the bird when she hits about 300. When i used my PBC I was cooking at 325F but this bird below was cooked on the KBQ at about 265. Bite through skin like you've never had before. (okay maybe you have, but I hadn't)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	121510
    Last edited by Spinaker; November 14, 2015, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here