Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moist and Tender Chicken With a Crispy Skinned Exterior

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like a second experiment.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I'm wondering how this would affect the dry brine.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    I'm going to try this soon:

Everyone loves the satisfying crunch of crispy chicken, yet achieving that perfect texture can be elusive. Luckily, the boiling water shower is tried-and-true.

All you need to do is either pour boiling water on your raw chicken or submerge it in bubbling water for a few seconds. The hot water helps tighten and shrink the skin, effectively reducing excess fat and moisture.
    But Ernest's method is roughly like my go to for turkey. Chicken, rarely putting a day+ into prep.

Leave a comment:

• lostclusters
    replied
    Let's blow the dust off of this one. Has anyone updated thier technique from this? And what if anything changes when doing turkey? I know spatchcocking is most likely preferred. As is a hot and fast temperature, probably 325 - 375 degrees F.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    I know I'm extremely late to this post, but thanks for the tips. I've dry brined over night before, but it seems like 2 days will be better.

• dt25dt
    commented on 's reply
    Hi
    Do you just triple hook it to get it hanging lower?

• IdahoSmoked
    commented on 's reply
    dmszemple ... so true. I use a similar technique for whole turkey. Brine in my secret mild brine (lots of veggies, herbs) for 3 days, rinse and dry as well as you can with paper towels, then on a rack in the fridge for a day until the skin is dry. Make oil/herb/spice paste and rub all over (including under breast skin) and put leftover in the cavity. Then I dry overnight with the oil mix on it and bake it next day. 450 F until 85% as brown as you'd like it, then 350 F until breast is 164 F

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Put a piece of waxed paper over it (tented) - it will be officially covered!

• Dan Deter
    replied
    I need a fridge that my wife can't see if I'm gonna dry brine poultry uncovered....

Leave a comment:

• Mudkat
    replied
    Sounds successful to me! I stopped using baking powder 'cause these taste bud can taste it. Dry brining overnight and uncovered, works for me. I still have to try oil under the skin EdF .

Leave a comment:

• Mudkat
    commented on 's reply
    I think I'll try the rub later in my sear too RonB I like that suggestion.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Almost complete success! I find combining a dry brine with overnight uncovered in the fridge (to help dry it), and oil under the skin (nothing containing water) gets the job done for the skin. Baking powder would not hurt!

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I have gotten to the point where I don't apply the dry rub until after I sear the skin a bit. I like it to brown it some, then I put it on the indirect side and apply the rub. By browning some first, I get the skin off to a head start on getting crispy.

• fkrall
    replied
    I grilled my first spatchcocked chicken last night following the ABCBarbecue recipe, monitoring temps with the Smoke. Weber 22 with SnS, full chimney Rockwood lump, vents fully open, 6 hr dry brine. Ambient temp 33 degrees; grill temp peaked @ 477º and slowly dropped to 428 when I pulled the bird at 45 minutes/160 in the breast--couldn't get a reliable temp in the thigh. No pics because after all the 325-350 recommendations I thought I blew it and was about to treat my wife to McDonalds, humble pie for desert. Not so: The breast meat was juicy and the legs and thighs were perfectly done, although the skin wasn't nearly crispy enough. For me at least, hot and fast with a longer dry brine and some baking powder on the skin may be the way to go. And that will let me save the McDonalds card for the next time I screw up a hamburger.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Extra virgin olive oil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here