Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping the Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping the Turkey

got the turkey all ready tonight. It’s a 16.75 lb Diestel Farm Turkey .... I spatchcocked it, rubbed salt on the thighs and breasts under the skin and then lightly salted the skin. It’s in the outside fridge right now.

And prepped the gravy, as well. For that, I quarter an onion and brown the chunks. Then chopped 6 cloves of garlic in half and browned them. Then browned the neck, backbone, tail and wing tips of the turkey. Deglazed my pot with a cup of white wine. Put the onion, garlic and turkey parts in the pot. Added 3 carrots and 3 celery stalks and kosher salt. Covered with a chicken stock and simmered for about 20 minutes.

Everything is in in the fridge waiting for tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	730FE56D-7A4F-46C7-AB5E-971BF316B923.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	414217Click image for larger version

Name:	071B4072-3CBC-4A94-88AD-DA2DCC043D5D.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	414218Click image for larger version

Name:	24089F23-2D22-433D-83F0-3DE9603455E5.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	414219Click image for larger version

Name:	4E7559C2-F746-4188-85F5-3DD356389D25.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	414221Click image for larger version

Name:	FB96B905-ADB2-48DE-AF63-F7435B38613A.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	414222
    Attached Files

Looking good brother!

Comment

What's up with the Papa Murphy's pizza? Insurance, perhaps? 😀

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Dinner on weds. We never cook the night before T-Day

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely! We had Gianni's! Who also happened to be my sausage source for the stuffing.

I agree, looks good. I spent last evening trying to talk The Wife into letting me do the spatchcock thing. I think I've gotten permission to do it, usually we stuff the bird, cook it covered in the oven, and the stuffing done inside the bird is my favorite (as well as my mother's), so I was fighting an uphill battle to break so soundly from tradition, but I think I've gotten essentially free reign to experiment at this point.

Now I just have to hope mine comes out as good as everyone says it is going to, or I'm toast. I'll never hear the end of it!

Comment

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what you are up against, my Wife is very reluctant to let me tweak our usual Bird in an Oven Bag cook. That is why I am doing a 7 lbs Bone in Breast on the Weber. Every step I take she reminds me that’s not how I usually do it. Dry Brine, ButterBall, Rub...Oh My! You should have seen the look on her face when I Said Ribs, or maybe a small Pork Butt.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here a few years back but now my wife gladly excepts the help and free space in the oven. You will do great! And Pirate Scott last year we didn't do a TURKEY, she wanted a brisket!! Rib appetizer too!

Stacy just made a fall quinoa salad for the table. Quinoa, squash, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, vinaigrette. Click image for larger version

Name:	2B3902B1-EAE6-4101-AFA4-33ED1960D238.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	414432

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here