Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upright chicken grilling (i.e. beer can chicken)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upright chicken grilling (i.e. beer can chicken)

When I decided to get the Kamado Joe, I devoured all the articles and posts I could find. I was never a fan of beer can chicken, I never liked that there was a painted aluminum can in my food. I read Meathead's article about debunking beer can chicken. I decided to get one of these upright chicken roasting stands when I bought the KJ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yopslPia5a3pnk0the8nq0tqCsypRsyUECtZYd9b9thu6hy88KIf1iuxrpT67wSSdHHuDtCjcw71wc1yYKrDZX-BHIhOOCXtvcfOExatY-6dnXkW7rKjBtH7ugRa1nzy0r8qh4nhC_4RRxwP4ssFl4_t4JrWGshvsg2kl9QIxYgrBbtTalRt-AnOMe0vWiwEPqRBaVED_KkjsD4PwLpsSc96HCgQTm3nRZ4vsRABSuBoJrswP71bcVRd2dR4Xtv
Views:	183
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	373268

I decided to make use of it today. I dry brined a 5 lb chicken. I then mixed up a batch of the Simon & Garfunkle rub, that's what is in the bowl behind the stand. I used a tiny food processor to grind up the herbs. The Maverick attached just above the grill grate was around 350, the dome thermometer was at about 400. Took about 1 1/2 hours. Here's a shot of what I took off the grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NI8m94MQ9vXEfFSH9el0BdDUqNvxTIpHytAeFx6Po0bGPWJkO-BzHWpHNGz_6wW6Vm1iLIz1wPJ6-FzENXAA5oG_02cJHxs4NPU-wG1p6Sl2eXILjiwB5MuGdQHFPzknokc8Jl-Owwu_aCmM6_SAh6Odd1C-KMXHUd7oEZQUDaL_VfNqj0X_F-8CuX_0Ixp5sJZUjgp4-YuKFdOBEj0TpY_6rp4czjnY6QdzaR7d5ETNBYkU7XJuSgmfWXWpWdB
Views:	116
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	373269

The only change I will make next time is I won't put as much salt on it for the dry brine. It was a tad salty.

Great lookin' chicken.

Comment

That looks awesome ..... and no beer can up its butt :-)

Comment

No matter what scientific evidence Meathead may present he can never convince my dad that the beer can does not enhance chicken. In fact, in an effort to avoid discord I have never brought the subject up with him. Fortunately, I don't have to broach it any longer. I bought him a Santa Maria grill a couple of years ago and he ditched his covered unit. My intent was for him to have both. No MCS for him. No more beer can chicken, either.
        Last edited by tbob4; September 2, 2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife wholeheartedly believes beer can chicken is superior to a whole chicken on the grill. Unless it is spatchcocked or on a rotisserie. So, to avoid marital discord, I just spatchcock or rotisserie the chickens. No longer a problem :-)

• GregS
          GregS commented
          Editing a comment
          The guys at work swear that the can of liquid enhances the chicken. They usually use Dr. Pepper.

I've never made beer can chicken. But that I would do. Looks fabulous.

Comment

A beautiful chicken!

Comment

My dad bought a vertical roaster like that years ago and discovered the beer can chicken was a waste of beer up the chickens rear end.

Comment

I use the char broil beer can stands. cut the top ring off a can and use it to open it in the proper position. Bonus, with the can ring pulled out, it lays flat and fits in a drawer.

Comment

Good looking bird!!

Comment

I always have called it beer can chicken, but never had a beer can up there as I was using the stands. I like the phrase upright grilling. And that chicken looks so good.

I did in the early days experiment with beer, wine, apple juice, you name it. Nothing made a difference, so I don't worry about it, but I have always loved how it came out.

Comment

• GregS
                    GregS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've only ever made 2 beer can chickens, 1 with beer, the other with cola. They took forever to cook. This rack drastically cut the time compared to those beer can chickens.

Vertical roasting. Big fan of doing chickens that way.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree with Potkettleblack I used the beer can chicken rack to hold the bird up without the can. Now I use the PBC.

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I want to try smoking some in mesh bags hung, kinda like you would in a pbc

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Several years ago, I did a turkey for thanksgiving like this. Was a big hit.

This year, probably gonna make carbonara as Calvin Trillin mused.

I'm curious, what's the advantage of going vertical as opposed to spatchcocking?

I'm assuming this helps the fat drip away and makes for a cool presentation, but is that it? Spatchcocking does the former quite well already and I love its speed of cooking.

I want awesome chicken but need to develop some self control when it comes to buying grill accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by jleinaweaver View Post
                    I want awesome chicken but need to develop some self control when it comes to buying grill accessories.

Where's the fun in that?

As for spatchcock vs. vertical, I have no idea. I have never done a spatchcocked chicken, so don't know if there's any advantage of one over the other.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just wait til you try it!

Originally posted by jleinaweaver View Post
                    I'm curious, what's the advantage of going vertical as opposed to spatchcocking?

I'm assuming this helps the fat drip away and makes for a cool presentation, but is that it? Spatchcocking does the former quite well already and I love its speed of cooking.

My vertical stand came with a metal saucer that saves all the flavorful drippings from the chicken. We use them for "gravy" over the chicken and whatever grain or potato we serve with the chicken.

Comment

I like the look of a vertical roasted chicken (can-free). He just sits there waiting to be done. He's got attitude.

But a split or spatchcocked chicken on my PBC is the bees knees.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here