Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Thigh Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Thigh Help

I want to slow smoke some thighs for dinner and want the skin to be crispy.

I will bebusing slow n Sear

Do do I cook at 325-350 using indirect heat or go for 225 degrees?

Any help would be appreciated.

350-400 degrees using indirect heat. What are you cooking them on?

Comment

Cooking in a weber kettle using a sns; ok do just like doing a whole chicken.

Duh. I must be getting old. 😂
      Last edited by BigJoe; August 12, 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I suggest using a full chimney and getting all of your coals lit, just to the point where the chimney stops smoking. Dump those in your SnS with the bottom and top vents open on your kettle. Keep your kettle between 350 and 400 degrees during the cook. Thighs will take about 45-60 minutes, you want the internal temp of the meat in the thickest part to be 175-180 degrees. Skin will be crispy and meat juicy. Oh, another thing, do not put any water in your SnS.

Comment

What I like to do with chicken thighs is cook them indirect at about 275, actually, until the internal temp is 155-160. Then I put them over direct heat, skin side down. At that point I'm turning, moving, etc the thighs constantly so that they are browning and getting crisp skin, but not burning. My goal is to get potato chip crispy skin. Done right, you get skin that is a deep, golden brown, almost caramel color, with nice grill marks. And perfectly well done thighs that end up hitting about 175 internal, which is perfect for chicken thighs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4126.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	361295

Comment

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful chicken skins !

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Simply gorgeous!!

Well the kids might get mad about eating thighs to nights in a row but I am doing one way tonight and the other tomorrow.

I bought two packs of thighs in sale.

I picked up some chuck steaks, and thin cut bottom round steaks for cheese steaks sandwiches

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a big thigh and back fan too!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Try with the huli huli sauce! Ddddddlicious!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Been getting around to that - it sure looks good!

That is a great idea. The family as a whole like chicken teriyaki.

Comment

BigJoe here's my full chicken teriyaki recipe if you want to give it a whirl. My family thinks it is the greatest teriyaki around

Well, okay, I only have one .... but it's darn good. Posting it for richinlbrg, who apparently has more chicken thighs than he knows what to do with. But figured

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for posting this, ecowper ! I had forgotten about this recipe. Going to the store for some skin on thighs!

Thank you!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally welcome richinlbrg .... enjoy!

High indirect heat for crisp skin. If you let the thighs sit out on a tray uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before you cook, it will help a bit.

Comment

Hulagn1971 Pretty much nailed it. The rest is all up to you. I say try the huli huli sauce.

fire that sucker up!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Huli huli is pretty awesome

ecowper , or anyone else, do we know the difference between mirin and aji-mirin?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                As it should be!

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Aji Mirin is fake stuff made with corn syrup. Hon Mirin is the real deal
                Check your ingredients list.

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest , is "Mirin" the same as "Hon Mirin"?

richinlbrg That's where it gets tricky. Mirin is used in short for Hon or Aji.
              Real Mirin ingredients should not have any added sweetener. The "sweet" should be from the rice fermentation when making the rice wine.
              You see corn syrup, you got got.
              Eden Foods Mirin is the closest thing to Real Mirin.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Ernest !!

I'll check more closely when I get home tonight. Might taste test, too, and report back.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here