Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Sides With Huli Huli Chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Sides With Huli Huli Chicken?

So, I'm making a big batch of Huli Huli chicken for Father's Day .... both my brother-in-laws and my father-in-law will be over, plus all the families .... 15 or so, of us. Question .... what sides would you serve with Huli Huli chicken for a Father's Day bbq and trying to be relatively Hawaiian about it? My FIL is not super adventurous, so I won't have Poke or Chicken Long Rice .... but I was thinking a shrimp ceviche, chicken fried rice, potato salad, fruit salad (tropical), green salad, strawberry shortcake. What else might work?

Fettuccine Alfredo goes with everything.😜 Plus it's easy to make. Add some sautéed zucchini and red onions spiced with garlic salt.👍 Make some fresh sourdough bread.🤗 Have many bottles of a nice Chardonnay and your guests will think you are a Master Chef.👌

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
      I was thinking a shrimp ceviche, chicken fried rice, potato salad, fruit salad (tropical), green salad, strawberry shortcake. What else might work?
      You're definitely on the right track. Don't forget plain old steamed rice, too. Just for fun, remember that spam is a Hawaiian favorite. If you google "Hawaiian recipes" you'll find lots of good ideas ... many of which incorporate spam as the protein.

Comment

Not just potato, but Hawaiian potato mac salad. Straight up, real Hawaiian. I don't remember if it came from stretching the potatoes with macaroni, or the other way round.

Comment

white rice and Mac salad to me is traditional hawaiian, like a plate lunch. have some kind of ateriyaki glaze.

Comment

Grilled fresh pineapple, marinate in rum and teriyaki sauce.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, that sounds like the winner of the dessert round!

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm a big fan of grilled pineapple. Dizzy Pig BBQ's Pineapple Head rub is awesome, but you can adapt any spicy rub by adding raw sugar crystals. For dessert, I'd offer with vanilla ice cream and a warm, rum caramel sauce (just add a shot of Capt. Morgan to a store-bought caramel).

Rice of some sort for sure, plus I think you could do some kind of slaw. I've seen green papaya grated and used in slaw. I don't have a recipe though.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              hmmmmmm, gonna have to do a search for polynesian slaw now

If you want to be really authentic you could replace the chicken fried rice with spam fried rice?

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah .... but none of us like spam .... I don't think that would go well

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I like spam!

Make sure you have some Huli Huli dancers on the side!

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              hahaha

tbob4 :-D

Comment

Kalbi Ribs are really popular here as well. That might be an idea.

Comment

Some kind of awesome fruity/boozy drink in one of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	polynesian mermaid.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	332876

RetroPlanet's peel-and-stick decals, floor graphics, stickers, and signs make it easy to decorate in retro style. We have officially licensed Coca-Cola designs and personalized decals to customize your decor as well as Retro Apparel. All are made in the USA and ship fast!

$5.99 a cup...you can't go wrong.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ohhhhhhh, I need to do one batch of Mai Tai's or something

So, here's the final menu

Huli Huli Chicken
                Shrimp ceviche
                Coconut rice
                Oriental salad (my wife's recipe, it's awesome)
                Fruit salad
                Grilled pineapple and ice cream for dessert

Some nice Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc to go with it (and some Cab, cause my sis-in-law is just hardcore about only liking WA cabs)

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great menu!

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Please take pictures!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here