Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A plea for help/advice concerning rotisserie chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freakbrother128 how has your rotisserie chicken been coming out since you posted this? Learn anything different?
    I'm about to turn my first bird.

Comment

• Freakbrother128
      Freakbrother128 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m using Weber coals typically, use half, maybe to third chimney, in between, dump just down one side of grill, arrange coals to clear space under bird, put a drip pan there. Put the bird on hot 200C but adjust vents a little to slow it down and keep between 150C/180C max, let it go but try and stay In the middle and baste with butter. I have been letting the breast temp get to 78C.

Seems most people put a drip pan. I just roasted two birds over direct heat without the lid. Don't know the temp but it was awful hot on my hand when held near the meat. Started to slightly turn Brown after 20 or so minutes. Crispy skin was awesome. I don't know if you can get crispy skin with the lid on. They were done I think in 1 hr 10 minutes. But I let it go for 2 hrs. They were perfect I think.

Comment

I think letting the drip off grease flare up might add flavor to the chicken.

Comment

Freakbrother128 I have turned a few birds now. Also a roast. Both with the rotisserie and without a lid.
        With direct heat directly under the meat. A few handfuls and add as needed.
        They come out great. Have you tried this or found a way to please your wife's taste? My wife is like yours. She prefers cardboard.

Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinkin' I might give direct heat - no top a try.

I use the rotisserie quite a bit. I use charcoal baskets on both sides with a drip pan in the middle. I use the lid and the skin comes out nice and crisp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here