Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A plea for help/advice concerning rotisserie chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A plea for help/advice concerning rotisserie chicken

Hey folks, i could really use some help/advice if you could help me out please. I'm using the weber rotisserie chicken attachment on my 22" master touch kettle but I'm having trouble convincing the wife the chicken is properly cooked. We have had a beautiful spring day here in the UK today so Q was definitely on the menu. After rubbing up and then spinning the chuck indirect (weber charcoal baskets either side of grill, used a full chimney of lit coals) at consistent temps between 170C-185C (338F-365F) for about and hour and 10 mins on a 3.5lb bird, I probed with my thermapen Mk4. Breast was 79C (174F), legs probed at 87C (189F). I'm a breast guy and it was lovely and tender for me but my wife (leg girl) is claiming the legs are undercooked and rubbery. The juice is running absolutely clean but I can take her point that the meat has to be pulled and doesn't easily fall off the bone, legs falling out the sockets, which we normally associate with properly cooked chicken legs. She's complained before when I've tried it beer can style on a stand up roaster, same kinda temps etc, and I thought that might just be the way it sits but figured rotisserie should be the nuts. I only got the major BBQ bug last year and I've learnt through this website a whole lot about cooking to the right temp and we have definitely been over cooking our meat by a significant factor for years and years compared to what the temperature guides advise. I deliberately let the temps go above the 74C (165F) as advised for poultry today but it appears I'm still not ticking the box. Is she/we just too used to overcooked chicken or am I missing something obvious? Any help you folks could offer would be gratefully received, I've got the BBQ bug big style but need to take the wife with me! Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer. I attach some photos of the cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2188.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	299116Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	299117Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	299118

Looks and sounds good to me

Comment

• Freakbrother128
      Freakbrother128 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought so as well dude but like i say, it wasn't fall out the socket/off the bone tender around the legs. I'm interested in the results other folks have and whether its comparable to mine. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply

That's a really good looking bird ... and, based on the temperatures you reported, it should be perfectly done! In fact, when I cook chicken, I like to to cook at a temperature between 325 F (162 C) and 375 F (190 C) to ensure a crispy skin. I look for doneness at 165 F (74 C) for white meat and 175 F (80 C) for dark meat. Everything you reported is within ... or even slightly above ... those temperature ranges.

Out of curiosity, what sort of thermometer(s) are you using?

Comment

• Freakbrother128
      Editing a comment
      Thermopen Mk4 instant read thermometer as my final check, great bit of kit, everything else I cook is spot on. Monitoring grill temps with a maverick 732 but clearly with the rotisserie couldn't use the meat probe today. Dome dial was only 10C different so I think they are all accurate.

My wife also prefers her chicken more "well done" .... I think it's a guy/girl thing. That probably wasn't much help :-)

Comment

• Freakbrother128
      Editing a comment
      I think you may have hit the nail on the head there!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      When I cook steaks, I start my wife and daughter's steaks 10 minutes ahead of mine. Mine comes off medium rare, their's come off medium well. We are all happy .... for chicken, I just deal and cook to the temp they like. I hate seeing people microwave my BBQ chicken.

I just handed her a Reece peanut bar... she asked me was it cooked?!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're in trouble ;-)

• Skelly
      Skelly commented
      Editing a comment
      I woulda said 'not as thoroughly as the chicken'

The thought occurs that maybe I could have used some water in the drip pan underneath for some extra humidity, maybe that could have helped contributed to tenderness... but at these sort of temps I'd have thought it wouldn't have made much difference? Then again she may just be difficult...yeah, that's probably it ;-)

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great lookin' yardbird, regardless...

Comment

You are doing the same things I do, and I get no complaints.

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks

Comment

If I were you I would cut the bird in half. I would over cook hers to the point she says... you burnt this one honey!!! Then I'd back it off 10° finish temp.😬 Keep cooking yours to 160° with a crisp skin.👍

Comment

It's all about Marketing. Tell her it's "Wayne Rooney" Chicken.....simple and way past well done. ;-)

Comment

Your bird is cooked perfectly!! Looks awesome too! I think many people are used to the texture of a store bought rotisserie bird.

I did one yesterday: white meat 165F and the thighs were 179F. Nice and juicy. One of my guests thought it wasn't done enough because she always had overcooked chicken.

The rest of us persuaded her it was done. Later she commented it was the best ever.

Comment

Great looking bird!

Unless you collecting for gravy.....why not let that fat drip onto the fire? That would be the first thing I would do. As long as the lid fits tight, it should work just fine. Anyone else? I have never ran one of these, but I would try this.

Comment

• Freakbrother128
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah was collecting for gravy, but also indirect cooking with weber baskets either side of the bird. Drippings would have gone down into the ash catcher otherwise.

• Freakbrother128
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the comment btw

I think it is tough to get people to unlearn how to eat over cooked chicken. Just keep going by temps and you will be good. COYG!

Comment

• Freakbrother128
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have to agree with that.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here