Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

capons in central texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest
    replied
    Stevo Here you go. Central market, west Gate location off Lamar

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    nope. I found a 7.75lb fresh hen at my local HEB today so decided to go with that this time around. Still wanna do a capon sometime though.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Our local Kroger affiliate had quite a few capons today. Do you have a Kroger near you?

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Neutered rooster.

• Stevo
    commented on 's reply

Bigger than a roasting hen, smaller than a turkey, tastes like chicken!

• BriggsBBQ
    replied
    Here's the dumb question....what the hell is a capon?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Stevo Ask a butcher at Central Market. That's where I get mine.
    They are never on display. Most are special orders so they are kept in the back.

Leave a comment:

• Obi-Dan
    replied
    I have purchased them at a Kroger Signature store here in Houston. Frozen.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't - too salty.

• Stevo
    replied
    So frozen is ok? If it has been injected with a brine solution, I shouldn't dry-brine, correct?

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    Good Deal. The ones I've seen here have been frozen, too. I usually do a turkey breast in my Redi-Smoke to supplement the turkey we do in the oven. Maybe I'll try a capon, instead. Thanks for the idea. Let us know how yours turns out.

• Stevo
    replied
    I called Central Market in Austin and they said they're getting some in tomorrow. They'll be frozen though, but maybe that's the best I can do. Dunno yet if they are pre-brined.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    commented on 's reply
    Georgetown. There's a HEB Plus in Round Rock I think...

• Stevo
    commented on 's reply
    for me central texas is the austin and surrounding areas.

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    Try to find one of the larger ones that has a specialty meat counter. Where do you live?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here