Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I season my spatchcocked chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I season my spatchcocked chicken?

It's in the fridge brining right now.

I have some S&G mixed up.
    I have some Tasty Licks poultry seasoning. It's really good.
    I have Memphis Meat Dust, which is a good all purpose rub. I would probably sauce it after that.
    I have FRESH parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Also oregano and basil.
    I have FRESH lemon thyme.

I dunno. Maybe the fresh, maybe the dry. Decisions, decisions.

Hey man, in my opinion, S&G is the end all. I make a paste out of it with some grape-seed oil. (A lot like Mrs. O'Leary's Cow crust. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...cow_crust.html) Then right before I put it on the cooker, I smear it on the surface, under the skin, everywhere. Then I put 1 tsp slices of unsalted butter under the skin in the legs, on the breasts, wings and where ever I can slide them. Then its on to the cooker.

Let us know what you end up doing. (With pictures of course)

Comment

Write all of your seasonings on a piece of paper and put them in a container and draw one out. That will be the seasoning to put on your chicken. Problem solved.

Comment

Like Spinaker, I love S&G .... I mix it 1:1 with olive oil to create a paste .... if it seems a bit thick, I add another tbsp of olive oil. Then I rub every inch of the bird's skin, plus get some under the skin of the breasts and thighs. I sprinkle some dry S&G on the cavity of the bird, as well. Sometimes I will squeeze a lemon into the cavity and then the S&G. Then on the cooker at 350'ish with some apple wood.

Comment

Can't go wrong with S&G.

Comment

My vote is S&G, did these four Sunday.
          Fantabulous😛
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	222859

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            look at those birds!!! Hell Yeah.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Spinaker

S$G no question! Or this:
          Last edited by Thunder77; September 20, 2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

S&G or S&P are my favorites.

Comment

Beautiful! Powersmoke_80

Comment

S&G won, here it is about 15 minutes in.

Views:	91
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	222902

Comment

Boy, l just got out of the shower & l was humming "Sounds of Silence" and about to go to my next song, when l just looked at AR and saw Mosca's name & was just drawn to this thread and, and, and,..........

Comment

Beautiful! Mosca

Comment

Nice cook Mosca !!

Comment

That's rice cooked in chicken broth with mushrooms and onions, broccoli, and S&G chicken. It came out pretty good, when you use that Thermapen the meat stays moist! Two things:

1) Next time I'm splitting off the thighs and drumsticks and starting them 10 minutes earlier. As it was I cut them off while on the grill and let them go 10 minutes longer. Putting them on earlier is easier.

2) The choice of sides was with leftovers in mind. Take the leftover parts of chicken and clean off the bones, chop up any leftover broccoli, and mix it in with the leftover rice for a killer next day lunch casserole!

Views:	90
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	222934

Comment

Mosca that's a great looking plate of food all around.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here