Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$9/lb for... Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$9/lb for... Turkey?

So the farm, Pasture Prime, where I just bought my wagyu brisket, allows you to pay a $50 deposit on their website for their free-range turkeys. When I asked what the actual cost is, the lady told me about $9 a lb. Say what? My hearing isn't good sometimes, so my wife says, so I must have misunderstood. So when I picked up my brisket on Saturday I asked again. Nope - I heard it right. $90 for a 10 lb turkey? Geezum. I think I paid about $9 for an 18 pounder last year. I think I'll be headed back to Publix. What do you or would you pay for a turkey. Granted, this is not your typically raised turkey.

Wow, that's a lot! It's been a while and the price varies (I think) from $0.50 lb to $1.29 lb depending on where I've bought them, and when/who's having a sale.

Comment

I have a hard time imagining that bird will taste 9 times better than the 18 lb turkey I smoked two weeks ago and cost me $10 at Safeway

Comment

• Ribber
        Ribber commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you. My wife was there as a witness.

I'll pay for a hunting license that allows me to kill a turkey before I pay that much for one already plucked and eviscerated.

Comment

Dang, a Wagyu turkey

Comment

• Ribber
          Ribber commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

The local buffalo farm has $6/# chicken and $15/# buff burger and I thought they were stupid high

Comment

GBA Here's some info on our photo uploading process to help explain why your photo isn't right side up. When taking photos some phones, apple phones included, don't attach "which way is up" info to the photo, so our forum software guesses. Often it guesses incorrectly. You can fix this by using your phone's photo editing software to make a really minor change to the photo. You can crop the photo just a tiny bit, for example. When the editor saves the change to the photo it also attaches the "which way is up" information that our forum software needs. After that the photo will display as it should when you upload it to The Pit.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            You're most welcome.

• AZRedneck
            AZRedneck commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang, and here I was thinking you lived on a hillside. I thought that was a mountain turkey.

It's "free range", &/or "organic" &/or "natural" &/or "fresh" &/or "heritage" &/or any other trendy/yuppy tag they can put on it to justify a "horse house" price for a freeking turkey! And it works!!! Some idiot will pay that for it. Gotta love capitalism!!! Oops, no politics...

Comment

For $90 bucks I hope you were included in that lucky turkeys will!

Comment

This ole country boy is going to have to stay with butterball.

Comment

I think I'd much rather buy a good carving knife for that kind of cash.

Comment

I ordered a fresh natural turkey from our local butcher in NC, and I paid $2.69/lb.
                  Considering that, I did look into some local fresh birds here in upstate NY, and was quoted $8.50/lb for a heritage bird.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's insane for turkey. Wow. By the way, welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

• scottranda
                    scottranda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where in NC?

• Bustingrocks
                    Bustingrocks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We just recently moved to Greensboro from Phoenix, AZ.
                    I'll be posting an intro soon. I just joined recently, and have had my hands full with work.

Welcome Bustingrocks

Comment

Originally posted by cstrfd4
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n202734[/ATTACH] Free free range turkeys
                    Free if you shoot it with an arrow. A few cents for a shotgun shell. Still better than $TOOMU.CH for turkey.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Egg.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	242984

Come on, everyone. Get with the program. These turkeys lay golden eggs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here