Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoked whole poultry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked whole poultry

I really want to love smoked poultry. I really, really do. I don't.

What I like about it: typically (a relative term) I smoke chickens or whopping big turkey breasts (ideally with skin on- but more on that later). Because there's not much connective tissue to speak of, I tend to smoke at higher temps, with the aim of cooking the bird without drying it out too much, say 325-350, over something fruity, like apple or cherry. Pecan is lovely, too. A simple rub like ground Montreal chicken spice goes on top of the skin, in the cavity (though I usually spatchcock the chook) and between the flesh and skin, as much as I can. The skin on the bird turns a lovely mahogany colour, especially chicken. I take it off the smoker (BGE, for the record) at about 155F, and let it rest a bit. The carryover cooking kills off any residual nasties while keeping the bird nice and juicy.

My issue is the skin. Smoking turns the skin a flaccid, insipid, rubbery, horrible caricature of everything that's good about roasting a bird- acres and acres of perfectly rendered, crisp, gorgeously brittle skin. It kills me. It's even worse smoking the turkey breast, because if you don't keep the skin on as a sacrifice to the cruel gods of poultry, a tough layer of smoke-infused crustiness can often form and make the outside parts of the breast tough. It kills me every time.

Has anyone found a plausible solution on how to smoke a bird so that the flesh stays moist, but smoky, and the skin gets thoroughly rendered and turns into the beautiful thing that it ought to be? Happy to nominate the solver of this problem for a Nobel prize.

First you have to prep the bird properly:
    Separate the skin from the meat - leave it attached in several places to hold it in place
    Dry brine both the skin and the meat
    Refrigerate for about 24 hrs uncovered to dry out the skin
    Use a little oil to make your spices stick, (if necessary), and don't use butter because it has water in it which doesn't help the skin crisp
    Smoke at 350* minimum. I think some here go as high as 400*.

If that doesn't do it, you can always remove the skin and crisp it separately over a hot fire. But if you do that it will shrink and shrivel.

I hope others will chime in in case I forgot something, or got something wrong...

Comment

I definitely need the skin to desiccate for 1-3 days in the fridge.

I definitely need to cook 350-400 if doing chickens that are under 7 pounds. If doing turkey I run 325-350 since the large size gives ample time.

If you are smoking and can't get it too hot do a reverse sear to crisp up the skin.

Comment

The crispy skin dilemma has been on the forum a couple times (i am a new member). i've paid attention hoping for the magic panacea.
        The one brilliant method posted by Jerod Broussard is ... well ... brilliant ... but a little out of league in terms of dedication and effort.
        The Ultimate Roast Chicken • ChefSteps

So why not just give up and cook them separately?

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken-cracklings.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	202749

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24990.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	202746

- have more exposure to the meat of the bird for rub, mop, sauce, etc
        - have more exposure to the meat for smoke penetration
        - can concentrate on the cooking of the skins to crackling as a separate project
        - can season the skins directly,
        - can go the same way as the poultry or as a totally different flavor couterpoint to the protein
        - can serve the cracklings as a side, edible garnish,
        - use them like big homemade croutons on a creamy caser salad
        - use them as the "chips" with the "fish" of fish and chips.
        - this way people who like the skin can have at it and those who don't care for it can pass
        - and you probably can eat the skins the next day too

I'm not going to give up on the elusive smoked crispy bird but I might just give the above a try.

Definitely not my idea: Chicken skin bacon
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          And notice my posted link and information never involved myself doing any of it.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done this. It's not good.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          I cant hang the chicken in my Fridge? My oven barely gets up to 500 degrees so 570 is completely out of the question not really achievable in most home kitchens. But the results were awesome.

Quit resting that bird! I'd bet that holding it is turning the skin to rubber. I like to cook chickens very, very hot (up to 500 degrees)! Goes right from heat to table, no time to lose that crunchiness.

Comment

Here's what I do and always have beautifully crispy skin on both chickens and turkeys

1. Dry brine the bird at least 24 hours prior to cooking.
          2. Do not cover the bird at all in the fridge while dry brining so that the skin desiccates (As Jerod Broussard said)
          3. Mix your rub with some olive oil and then rub under the skin and on the skin.
          4. Avoid rubs with salt in them so you don't end up with salt double jeopardy
          5. Cook turkey at 325-350, chicken at 350-400
          6. Pull the bird when the breast internal temp is 160-165.
          7. Normally I don't hold it in a faux cambro, that will soften the skin

Here's a lengthy post on cooking a whole turkey: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ummer-turkey-p

Comment

I am going to try the suggestions above. Thank you.

biggreenmatt - I think it is possible to guess what you are cooking on.

I don't know if they make one for it and I don't know if it is cheating (from the AR's perspective) but I love poultry's performance on the Performer with the Rotiss.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a rotisserie for whole chickens sometimes. Kids love the rotisserie

Vertical roasting without a beer can has only failed me with my heritage chicken, which is a weird bird that needs special love. 350-400, light smoke.

Comment

I just do sort of a combination of what I have read here & sorta kinda what Chris Lilly does. I spatchcock now, always. Then I dry brine, & yes I get some of the sodium under the skin & on top of the skin. After 24 hrs or more, I'll put a little olive oil(not evoo) on, then the rub(mostly Simon & Garfunkel). Then I do what I have improvised, with a smokenator (cuz I just got my SnS Sat). I use a full chimney of coals & pile them as the old 2 zone way, then put the smokenator up against the coals so it's sort of half smokenating. Pan of water under neath & I'll check temp at about 1hr.
              Now I know that is not as sofisticated as most of the advice, only because I only have a chef alarm, which I don't use when cooking chicken. I just start checking with my thermo pop & it's always right on. My wife loves it, she quit cooking chicken due to the outcome of the grillin-semi-smokin that I attain. The skin is always crispy & chicken is quite moist & tasty.
              I know most of the guys go at it much deeper than I do. But, I make do with what I have. I hope this is of some help.

Comment

And if none of the above advice work there is always a KFC nearby.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or order Pizza!

biggreenmatt, Last Thanksgiving Turkey, 14.5 Lbs, Stuffed with Bread Dressing, Weber Kettle, S 'n S, with BBQ Guru DigiQ DX-2 Temp Controller, Apple Wood Chunks for Smoke! I forgot to Submit the Pic's to Meathead's Turkey Contest!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here