Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defrosting an 18 lb turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrosting an 18 lb turkey

Yes, there is 18 lbs of turkey defrosting in my fridge right now. On sunday that guy is going on the WSM. I haven't yet smoked a whole turkey, just turkey breasts. I'll spatchcock it, plus a wet rub using Simon & Garfunkel rub on saturday. I'll inject on sunday morning. Will prep the gravy on saturday as well. Going to follow Meathead's Ultimate Turkey Recipe. Sides will include mashed potatoes, stuffing and green beans (with bacon and almonds).

I started it defrosting yesterday afternoon. Allowing for 24 hours in the fridge for every 4 lbs, it should be defrosted on Friday morning, or thereabouts. Seem right?
    Last edited by ecowper; July 11, 2016, 04:55 PM.

Oh yeah! All the best on a dee-licious bird! Remember to take (and post) photos.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured nobody really cared about seeing a turkey in my garage fridge. But I will take pics of the whole cook, starting with the prep work on saturday.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm strange. I usually take photos of just about everything, but smart enough not to post all of them, well, most of the time.

Just for you fuzzydaddy. Took it yesterday when I put the turkey in the fridge.
    Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. I'm feeling a bit special. Now back to reality.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here