Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Fourth of July Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Fourth of July Turkey

The night before I was going to smoke the 11 pound turkey, I spatchcoked it and dry brined it. The next morning, July 4, I smoked it on my Weber 22” with the Slow ‘N Sear. I used two Chef Alarms, one with an air probe for the cooker temperature and one with a food probe for the turkey. I put aluminum foil on the indirect heat side so as to block airflow on this side and direct it to the charcoal in the SNS. Then I put a drip pan on top of the aluminum foil to go under the turkey. I opened the lid damper and the bottom damper all the way. I put 42 unlit charcoal briquettes in the charcoal part of the SNS and lit the other 42 in a charcoal chimney. I poured a quart of boiling water into the water reservoir on the SNS, and poured the lit charcoal on top of the unlit in the SNS. Then I added 2 large chunks of cherry wood on top of the lit coals. Next I put the food grate in the cooker and put the turkey on the food grate. Then I attached the air probe to the grate with the grate clip, and inserted the food probe in the turkey breast. I fed the probe cables through the damper holes in the lid, and put the two Chef Alarms on a cart next to the Weber. When the cooker temperature reached 285, I adjusted the bottom damper to half open and left the top damper open all the way. It settled at a cooker temperature of 322 degrees and held that for the entire cooking time. It received smoke for about 45 minutes of that time. At 90 minutes on the Weber, the food probe read 166 degrees, and I took the turkey up. It was the best smoked turkey that I and my wife, Kate, have ever had: juicy, moist, tender, with a great smoky flavor.

That looks outstanding! I've been thinking of smoking a turkey in the next couple weeks. That pretty much clinches it.

Comment

Nice bird. I plan to do some turkey breasts pretty soon. Then chill and slice.

Comment

Excellent looking bird ... nice job!

Comment

Oh my, that is BEAUTIFUL! Well done RAmorris!

Comment

That is one beautiful cooked turkey. You just can't beat color like that! Cherry is a wonderful wood on fowl. Kudos!

Comment

That turkey is no turkey.

Comment

The turkey looks great...wish I could say the same about the p-u truck...if only it was a Ford

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Blasphemy!

• CeramicChef
                  CeramicChef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I"m right there with you, DWCowles!

• jharner
                  jharner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know why Ford has a heated tailgate ? So your hands don't get cold while pushing.

Great looking bird. I have not tried a turkey yet but will soon.

Comment

Schuweet... That's a pretty bird! Great color and it looks like the skin is nice and crisp. Fantastic!👍

Comment

CONGRATS on a great cook!

And jharner , you gotta try it!

Comment

Super Great!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here