Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: How to get crispy chicken skin when using a rotisserie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: How to get crispy chicken skin when using a rotisserie.

I'm having some issues. I've cooked 2 chickens and cannot get the chicken skin to get crispy and feel like I'm doing something wrong. The first time I cooked one at 5 hours on 225, the second was 1.5 hours at 350. The chicken tastes AMAZING but the skin I just cannot seem to get right. Keep in mind this is only my second time using a rotisserie on my smoker. Any help would be greatly appreciated, my wife loves the chicken but gets mad at the fact I cannot get the skin correct.

The rotisserie might just be basting juices on the skin continually and you may never get it crispy without going to 400. I do not use a rotisserie though, just an educated guess on that.

When spatchcocking, all I do is pat it dry really good and cook it over 325, I'm usually 340-360, depending if I'm using a rub with sugar or not. (Sugary rubs like rib rubs can begin to burn when they get over 350ish). This is flat on the grate for 75-90 min. Oddly enough I find a better crispier skin if I wet brine the bird too.

Comment

If your chicken skin is not crisping, increase the heat. If the inside of the bird is cooked, then blast the heat if needed. When cooking chickens, my cooking heat is between 325-375. Unlike many other types of cooks, cooking chicken involves higher heat. Low and slow does not help you make a better chicken. Moderate heat does. I've cooked thousands of chickens at home, and on the job; so I know how to cook birds. Turkey, goose and duck are different, but for chicken; anything from 325-400 will do. You can even go to 425. I've done it, and the chicken was fine. Don't fear the heat, when heat is needed....

Comment

I spin my chickens at 400F and always get crispy chicken. Huskee and Strat50 have it exactly right. At a low temp like 350 and using a rotisserie, all you're doing is rendering fat and basting the bird as it spins. Get your grill to about 400, especially in the last half of the cook.

When I spatchcock or roast a chicken on the vertical stand, I always start the night before. I get the chicken as dry as possible, let it sit overnight in the refrigerators, spritz it lightly with grapeseed oil, and grill at 325-350. Works every time.

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker - I tend to use a higher smoke point oil like grapeseed. Olive oil has a smoke point of around 350 as I remember. I have used olive oil and canola oil, but I much prefer a higher smoke point oil for temps over 325-350.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool! I have Avocado oil, which has a smoke point of 500 F +. I would think that would work quite well. Thanks for the tip. My chicken game is really improving. CeramicChef

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I second the use of grape seed oil, stuff is amazing

And it helps if the Skin is bone dry when it hits the cooker.
        leave it uncovered in the refrigerator until it dries out.

Comment

So after wet brining it, which is what I do (for about a day), take it out pat it dry and leave it in the fridge for a few hours then cook? So basically I'm getting that 400 is the proper temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynhawaiian View Post
            So after wet brining it, which is what I do (for about a day), take it out pat it dry and leave it in the fridge for a few hours then cook? So basically I'm getting that 400 is the proper temp?
            You could go right to the cooker after patting dry, no need for a wait, but it will only help matters. But it looks like the general consensus is 400 for rotisserie. I'm sure you know this, but watch that breast temp like a hawk to avoid accidental overcooking.

Comment

I find dry brining uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours produces nice crispy skin. I recently did some legs where I ran out of my home made poultry seasoning (equal parts ground Rosemary, sage, thyme and nutmeg) with two legs to go so I did the last two plain. The herbed ones had crispier skin, I'm starting to think the dry herbs help take out more moisture from the skin than just plain salt.

Comment

Does anyone ever put the bird on a cookie cooling rack to raise the bird higher into the dome? My thoughts here are, if its higher in the dome, the higher temps and more airflow I can get hitting the bird. When its just sitting on the grate, its blocked by the heat deflector. There is a bit of a heat shadow at the grate. I have noticed that I have higher temps in the dome than right at the grate. Does anyone think this will make a difference, or am I just being crazy? Or would it just be better to turn the heat up in the cooker. I do like the higher air flow at the top of the dome though. CeramicChef Breadhead fuzzydaddy Thanks!

Comment

• CeramicChef
                  CeramicChef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker - when I'm cooking using a rotisserie, that spit position is fixed and getting the bird higher, for me at least, isn't an option. However, I have been know to use my second grate and that way I can get the bird quite high in the dome of TheBeast.

I get the best skin on my wings cooking them on the hover grate from my kettle on top of a foil lined sheet pan in my oven at 400. I don't know why mine come out better in the oven than grill.

Comment

Flynhawaiian IMHO you sacrifice crispy skin for awesome meat on a rotisserie. While all the above is great advise I awlways let my whole chickens rest lust like my turkey. The skin gets moisture while resting. I cook my oven chicken at 400+ convection. While you CAN use the pro tips above on a spit it all about the chicken for me. It's a personal thing. My whole family loves crispy skin, especially the 5 year old girl but they love great juicy chicken too. I personally would not risk drying out my chicken on a whole bird. Sounds like you have excellent bird, either you are a winner.

Comment

I turn mine without a lid with direct heat right under the meat. A few handfuls of Briquettes. Add as needed about every 20 minutes or so. Vent wide open.
                    Fire about the size as the photo. Same for beef roast and chicken.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here’s some thoughts for the original posters on crispy skin on a rotisserie.

1. Get your temp at the spit around 375-400
                      2. Do not wet brine .... all that does is saturates the chicken skin, not helpful
                      3. Do dry brine by rubbing kosher salt under the skin directly on the thigh and breast.
                      4. Do let the chicken sit in the open in your refrigerator, after adding the salt brine, for 6-24 hours.
                      5. Mix your rub (I like Simon & Garfunkel) with olive oil .... 1:1 works well .... and then apply to the bird.

I find this turns out a beautiful rotisserie chicken with an awesomely crispy skin.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I still like to put some vegetable oil between the skin and the meat.

on my gasser, I pull the spit about 5 degrees shy, crank the heat to where its all Scotty can give me, and then return it until done. Oh and I turn on the burners below whatever I am rotisserating too.

Comment

You’ve got a ton of advice here. Follow some or all of it. I roto my birds recently & get cripsy shkin. Watch the heat as a bunch of em have said. You’ll get it. Keep workin on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here