Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can chicken be smokey and crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_182021-EFFECTS.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1035898

Comment

I cook all my chicken either on my Hasty-Bake or in my oven. Reason being that I want to cook as hot and fast as possible. Cook it too slow, you end up with dry chicken and rubbery skin. Been playing with this for years, finally got it to where everyone in my family is happy. The folks that want their breast meat "done" and the peeps that want their chicken juicy and the others that want crispy skin and the other crowd that wants some smoke taste :-)

Some tricks

1. Cook the chicken hot and fast
      2. Definitely dry brine for at least 3 hours, better is 24 hours
      3. Get rub under and over the skin
      4. Don’t stuff the bird, better to spatchcock
      5. If spatchcocked, you only need a little smoke

Here’s my 24 hours to cooking a chicken

1. About 24 hours prior to cook, spatchcock the chicken
      2. Then rub kosher salt under the skin of the breasts and thighs and into the cavity of the bird.
      3. Stick the bird, uncovered, into the fridge and let it sit that way for 24 hours. The drying will do amazing things for the skin and the flavor of the breast and thigh
      4. Set up grill for a very hot 2 zone cook …. I like my indirect zone to run 375
      5. Add whatever rub you like to the cavity and under and over the skin of the breast and thigh
      6. Put bird on the indirect side and cook until the breast probes at 160F
      7. Quickly flip the bird skin side down on the direct side for 3-5 minutes, but don’t let the skin burn, just want it brown and crispy
      8. Pull bird and rest it uncovered for no more than 10 minutes
      9. Slice and serve immediately

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told I cooked some good chicken, but I am always lookin to get better. I do most of what you do, most I say, not everything. You know what I’ll be doin next, yessir! The rodeo method to a tee!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan I just learned something new from Potkettleblack ..... love this place.

I like Ecowper's method there, which is for the ultimate chicken experience. I would add that I prick the skin of the bird with a fork before drying. This allows more of the fat to drain out while cooking, which improves the skin.

I rub before drying, but I either rub and salt at the same time, or use a rub with salt, so same thing.

I do spatchcocking but I find I get my best results from vertical cooking. Spanek style vertical roaster on the Grilla, or hung in the OBJ.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        oh! pricking the skin. I just found a new addition to my chicken method. thank you sir!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here