Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bagels What is your go to's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I just don’t understand the appeal of bagels nor croissants either. So none for me.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +1….With ya Don. I never saw the appeal either, why does everyone cram them with 200 toppings? Just wondering. 🤷‍♂️
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 3, 2021, 10:45 AM.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Yep, all the toppings. If you need the toppings why bother? Sort of like a well done steak smothered in A1. However, each to their own.

Jim White here ya go...

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool!

Plain or blueberry. Plain cream cheese but I won’t turn down a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel sandwich.

Comment

Best bagels in Boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuIhiqlijlM
      Last edited by Old Glory; December 2, 2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

As someone who is Jewish and a NY’er (and NJ born and raised), boy do I have opinions on bagels.

Nothing beats a fresh, well made bagel. Toasting ruins a good bagel but makes a bad bagel better. The bagel should have a chewy but crisp exterior. If it’s soft, it’s not a bagel. They should be boiled before baking, otherwise it’s just a roll with a hole.

As far as flavors, I opt for salt or everything above all, and prefer my everything bagels without caraway seeds (they should have salt, dried garlic, dried onion, poppy and sesame seeds) Growing up in NJ all the bagel shops had the same varieties:
        Plain
        Egg
        Salt
        Poppy
        Sesame
        Onion
        Garlic
        cinnamon raisin
        Everything

I prefer to bagels with butter but will accept cream cheese (plain or scallion). Anything with fruit is blasphemy.

Bagels does last more than a few hours, so anything shelf stable isn’t going to be very good. For best results, freeze fresh bagel. When ready to eat, let them defrost on the counter for 20-30 min, rinse briefly under water and reheat in a 350 degree oven till fully defrosted and crispy on the outside. Almost as good as fresh

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Also Jewish. Also grew up in Passaic N.J. and have a solid foundation in the bagel culture. It was a staple growing up. Being your location, suspect no issue getting bagels that will not disappoint.

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB - quality bagels are easily procured! Typically at least one weekend morning we grab bagels. Salt for me and my daughter, everything or the occasional cinnamon raisin for Mrs shify and my son is a plain bagel, if any - hes still a pancake/waffle guy - still working on him

• Pobeque
          Pobeque commented
          Editing a comment
          Not Jewish, but grew up and live on Long Island. Completely agree that fresh bagels should not be toasted, but day olds can be toasted. Egg everything with cream cheese & bacon is my go to, but sometimes I'll do the classic cream cheese & nova/lox, onion, caper etc.

Wait I amend my toasting statement.....cinnamon raisin bagels , even when fresh, are better toasted with butter, not cream cheese

Toasted everything bagel with cream cheese. Not just a dab of cream cheese either.

Comment

I just can't imagine eating fish for breakfast.

YURK!

Comment

The only sweet bagel I like is cinnamon raison. I'll eat almost any savory, but especially plain, cheddar, or poppyseed. But I only get them from the one bagel shop anymore, they have spoiled me. Plain cream cheese or my shop's "hot n spicy" (jalapeños and some other peppers, I've never asked). But by far the most common (either ordering from the shop or using their plain bagels to make at home) for us is bacon, egg, and cheddar on a plain bagel.

Comment

Many times, boring is good.

Comment

Always everything. Breakfast might be bacon egg and cheese. Or the lox combo above

Comment

Go ahead, fight me. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	mtlbagels.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1136316

Comment

I'm a plain, lightly toasted, w/ obscene amount of butter guy. Or cream cheese. I even enjoy microwaving instead of toasting them to keep them gooey. Yum.

Comment

Everything and poppy.
                    We had a standing order for our flight crews. "Heading to Teterboro NJ? You better bring back bags of bagels."

Comment

Everything bagel with bacon, egg, and cheese
                      everything bagel with Taylor ham, egg, and cheese
                      Everything bagel with tuna salad open face
                      everything bagel with egg salad and bacon open face
                      Cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter and grape jelly open face
                      Cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese

Comment

• shify
                        shify commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Taylor ham, egg and cheese on an everything bagel was my weekend breakfast/lunch of choice in high school or any time I came home from college

Egg, Pumpernickel, Rye, or Marble Rye. Lox, cream cheese and capers = savory, cream cheese and strawberry preserves = sweet. Too bad you can't get good bagels here in south Louisiana.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here