Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand Mixer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand Mixer Help

Hello all. I am in the market for a stand mixer. Two models I am considering are the Kitchenaid Artisan series 5qt, and the Kitchenaid Professional Plus 5 quart. I intend to use it to make lots of dough: bread dough, pizza dough, etc. And my daughter will use it for making cookies. The Pro series is a bowl lift type mixer, and the artisan series is a tilt-head mixer.

My concern is that the Artisan series has a 325 watt motor. Is this sufficient for mixing bread dough? I don't want to buy an under-powered mixer and burn it out. Also, Are there other brands that any of you have that you are happy with?

Thanks!

We have the bowl lift one and it has lasted many years. To me I would definitely go with the more powerful one for sure.

Comment

• OneEyedJack
      OneEyedJack commented
      Editing a comment
      When in doubt, ALWAYS more power! If you have a car with a big engine, you don't always have to keep your foot in it, but it's there if you want or need it.

Breadhead , Willy , RonB , scottranda, MBMorgan

Comment

I have an Electrolux Kitchen Asistant (7.5 qt / 600W). It could handle it. But it's been discontinued. There's a company called Ankarsrum that makes essentially the same product now (I think there was some kind of a tech handoff between them). But it's really expensive. Bosch has a similar style, which is also likely expensive. You can't go far wrong with the higher end Kitchen Aids.

Comment

I rarely mix bread dough in a mixer unless it's a really high hydration dough like Ciabatta bread, 80 to 95% hydration. When I do use a stand mixer I use the Pro version of the Kitchen Aid mixer. I like to make bread by hand.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I know you do, but I do recall you mentioned using a mixer for some type of bread. It was the ciabatta.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You have to have arms like Popeyes's to mix 95% hydration dough by hand...😬

I have been working on pizza and bread dough for the past 18 months. Sometimes by hand but usually with the KA mixer. We got our KA mixer for our wedding in 1981. It is a model made by Hobart before they sold to KA. Now I want a spiral dough hook for ours and it won't accept one. I've been told that no KA Tilt Head mixer accept the spiral dough hook. Soooooooo, my recommendation would be to buy a mixer that would accept the spiral dough hook! You will get what you pay for!

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Skip, the KA mixers accept a C-shape dough hook, which seems to do a pretty good job. In fact, the new ones come with the dough hook.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I have that dough hook but the dough climbs up quite often. I've read that the spiral dough hook helps with that problem some. If anyone knows where I could get one that fits I'd buy it.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          On a spiral dough hook... when your dough climbs your hook and cleans the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl that is an indication that your dough is done mixing. It won't climb the hook until there is gluten development. Do a window pane test to verify it's done mixing.

You didn't mention your daughter's size or age or if she will be operating it without help. Whatever you consider, be sure that she can operate it, preferably without help.

As an aside, one of these days I'll have to tell you all about the time I almost blew up the kitchen and myself with it when I was eleven years old and making biscuits.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet that's a good story! My daughter is grown, almost 20. I think she has used one before, so will probably be ok. Good point, tho.

Any of the Kitchen Aid mixers will work well. Buy the most powerful one that you can. For 2-3 loaves of bread, or less, it will serve you well. If you need higher capacity, the best I've used(outside of the one's I use at work, that is) is a Bosch. The larger one's are a BEAST for large batches of stiff bread dough. I've smoked KA mixers (yes real smoke!) on too large batches of stiff dough needing long kneading times. But, for 2 loaves or less, the 625 watt KA is fine. I've had my current one for a few years without problems. Overall, the Bocshes are more powerful due to their design, but are more work to clean. The KA is much easier to clean, but weaker, due to their design, but still strong enough for most non power users.

Having said all that, I usually make some version of no-knead bread. ( I frequent many of the same bread making sites as Breadhead). It's usually quicker than dragging out the mixer, especially for smaller batches of bread. However, the mixer is great for Ciabatta, Foccacia, and other breads that use a lot of liquid(high hydration) and long kneading times. In other words, the right tool for the right job. A quick thought: If you really want to up your bread game, get a good grain mill! The mill has shown me things that are usually impossible with just buying flour. 'Nuff said...lol

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I mix sourdough by hand, but there are some recipes, especially with eggs and butter, that I prefer a mixer for.

I would (and did) go with the KitchenAid Pro. It will handle pretty much anything you throw at it and it has really useful attachments available (like the meat grinder for instance). Like Breadhead , I prefer to mix bread dough by hand ... but for everything else there is the 30 year old 'Old Faithful' KitchenAid.

Comment

I have the KA Artisan (tilt head). Works great for everything including mixing bread dough. I turn that baby on high for five min and that sucker has awesome gluten development. Motor gets warm, but not bad at all. It should last a lifetime. I've had mine for 4 years.

I'd go with whatever the nicest one you can afford. But, you'd be pleased with the Artisan too!

Comment

Confession: I don't mix dough by hand anymore 😬 Too time consuming and the KA works wonders.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Shame on you Scott! 😜 Just kidding!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead, I just purchased Ken Forkish's book Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast. Can't wait to get started! His videos are great teaching tools.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Good move on buying the Forkish book. He is a high hydration expert. Knowing Chef Jacob's and Ken Forkish' techniques will make you a really good sourdough bread maker.

I have owned a Bosch for over 35 years and I am totally satisfied with it, my wife before starting her job made all the bread for the family of 5, never had a problem with it, we also got the flour grinder and made our own flour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJyS5Q6KRww

Comment

We have the KA pro in our kitchen. My wife uses it for all things baking, she loves it, but wishes it had the tilt head.

We use the pasta attachment, the spiralizer, and the meat grinder. I've tried the sausage stuffer, but it is not efficient at all.

Either way, you will love machine and wonder how you ever lived without it.

Comment

I agree - get the biggest motor you can afford. High and medium hydration doughs will do well in just about any mixer, but low hydration doughs, like bagels, can be too much for a smaller motor. It doesn't hurt to have a larger motor for grinding meat either.

Edit to add: And I bet you will never say "Man, I wish I had gotten the smaller motor!".
                Last edited by RonB; March 8, 2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I agree with those who recommend the biggest one you can afford. Our KA is a 325 W, 5 qt and it does just fine with 70% hydration doughs, but low hydration bagel dough is clearly hard for it. Also, KA recommends kneading stiff doughs for only four minutes at a time, with a ten minute rest (for motor cooling) following each kneading cycle. As such, I do my kneading in two four-minute stints, wrapped up by a two-minute stint, which is about what it takes to pass the window pane test. Our model is not the tilt-head. I suspect I would like a tilt head better.

I do prefer machine kneading to kneading by hand. Of course, I still do stretch and folds and tension pulls by hand. Finally, I LOVE the Serious Eats food processor pizza dough first mentioned by RonB. If you do this version, I recommend a 30 minute autolyse step prior to "kneading" with the FP.
                  Last edited by Willy; March 8, 2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dr ROK. Just mix the ingredients (often minus salt and sometimes yeast) in to a "shaggy mass", trying to get all the flour mixed into the dough, then rest it covered for 20-30 minutes before kneading.

Autolyse is a process in which a portion of (or total) water and flour in a bread formula are pre-blended and set to rest for a period of time. This resting period gives the dough special processing characteristics and improves the overall quality of the baked goods.

• Dr ROK
                    Dr ROK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Willy, so do you mix it outside the food processor and then throw the "mass" into the processor after the waiting period or do you mix it directly in the processor and then let it sit?

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dr ROK Either way would be OK. I'd probably do it in a bowl (by hand) and with the yeast added. Then into the FP with the salt.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here