Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand Mixer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Dr ROK Either way would be OK. I'd probably do it in a bowl (by hand) and with the yeast added. Then into the FP with the salt.

• Doc Hazard
    replied
    I have and use both the KA Artisan lift head, and the earlier "regular" tilt head, only available in black or white, slightly smaller wattage rating, and a 4 qt bowl without a handle. In this range, I don't think the wattage rating means much, more to do with the gearing an construction. I make bread in both all the time, up to 6 C of flour at a time, and no real difference except the bigger bowl contains flour better at the start. Neither gets more than a little warm. I considered the Pro, but like the tilt head --- much easier to add ingredients, like for cookies, etc. All the KA models have the accessory port and take the same ones.

Note that KA has a page on its site that sells demos or returned, refurbished mixers at a good discount. http://tinyurl.com/zla8mxw I bought mine there, 1 yr guarantee. You might have to wait awhile to find the model and color you want, but not long. No reason not to buy there.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    You're never safe!🤑

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I have the same mixer... also purchased from Amazon. It's a great mixer for what I do. I use it when making Ciabatta dough, 80% to 90% hydration.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Good move on buying the Forkish book. He is a high hydration expert. Knowing Chef Jacob's and Ken Forkish' techniques will make you a really good sourdough bread maker.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Willy, so do you mix it outside the food processor and then throw the "mass" into the processor after the waiting period or do you mix it directly in the processor and then let it sit?

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Dr ROK. Just mix the ingredients (often minus salt and sometimes yeast) in to a "shaggy mass", trying to get all the flour mixed into the dough, then rest it covered for 20-30 minutes before kneading.

Autolyse is a process in which a portion of (or total) water and flour in a bread formula are pre-blended and set to rest for a period of time. This resting period gives the dough special processing characteristics and improves the overall quality of the baked goods.

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Breadhead, I just purchased Ken Forkish's book Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast. Can't wait to get started! His videos are great teaching tools.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    So Willy, for the autolyse you just let the mix set for 30 minutes before mixing?

• dtassinari
    commented on 's reply
    Thunder77 You can sub in charred broccoli florets, but there's something special about nutty, crispy browned brussels sprout that works so well with miso and eggs. And there's nobody stopping you from having that for dinner instead! It's an extra-creamy oat risotto (ris-oat-to?)

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    dtassinari, I never would have thought to try brussels sprouts for breakfast. I really like the idea of the Miso paste.

• dtassinari
    replied
    Good choice. That machine is the gold standard in professional kitchens all over the world: it can take so much punishment and still perform 100%.

In one of my previous workplaces we made nougat in it (it's a REALLY stiff meringue), and one day while we were making the third batch in a row the motor got so hot it melted the insulation in some wires and the casing was so hot it sizzled. Opened it up to allow ventilation, popped it in the freezer walk-in for a few minutes, screwed it back on and it got back to work like nothing happened. It's a beast.

Leave a comment:

• dtassinari
    commented on 's reply
    Oh man. Porridge with real freshly coarsely ground oats has been a life changer. My personal favourite is savoury with miso paste, roasted brussels sprouts and soft-boiled eggs... Best breakfast in the world.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice for sure.

• lschweig
    replied
    Love the red color. Now just add some flames to the sides and then it will be awesome.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here