Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Pastrami, Like Sawdust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Pastrami, Like Sawdust

I've done pastrami successfully many times but this time wasn't one of them. Came out really dry and crumbly. After a sammie or two the question now is, what do I do with all the leftovers? Any advice from the pit on using dry pastrami?

Salad topping

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      who eats salad ?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora me if you put enough meat on it.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      "what's all this lettuce under my meat?!?"

Chili

Comment

hash

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        THIS

I imagine it's dry like as in jerky (biltong) dry. If you can chop it finely almost to powder like I do with biltong then add it to cream cheese for a nice spread or add to a creamy soup.
      If you make your own pizzas add as a topping.

Comment

Mix in with mashed taters an sauteed onions, make ya up some pierogies

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you're talking.

K.

Have you tried steaming it to see if it'll bring some moisture back? Can even slice and steam the slices for a few minutes to see if its any better.

Otherwise for leftovers, I'd go right for pastrami has but not sure frying up dried pieces will be any better. Maybe use it to make pastrami shepherd's/cottage pie? Or chop it up fine and top a burger or put inside a grilled cheese?

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha - I just asked this without reading new replies.

Pastrami Corned Beef Hash Patties!

I love this recipe. I made it for the first time a few years ago and I loved it. It is amazing with some fresh eggs in the morning. Sticks to them BONES!!!!! I make these with my niece and nephew, they love mixing these up and frying them. Any chance they get to get their aprons on!

*Make sure to keep them cold before adding them to the pan. I like to wrap them in plastic wrap, and then I throw them in the freezer if I am gonna cook them within an hour. If I am going to cook them the next day, I just put them in the coldest spot in the fridge.

*I leave out the bread crumbs and I add crushed pork rinds to the mix. I just like it better that way. (Its weird, I know)

*I don't use mashed potatoes all the time. Most of the time, I like to use shredded browns or the tiny cubed browns.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look great!

painter - silly question but.... you DID steam this after smoking, right? Because if you simply smoke and cook... yeah, it's dry.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking of lean flats which kind of need th steam in my experience. Points or well marbled flats, nah.

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          No--I didn't steam. I've never had a need as previous cooks were moist. I'm thinking this was just a one-off finicky hunk o meat.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          You didnt say what hunk it was, but lean pastrami will NEED to be steamed. Fatty won't.

My first thought was back to the recent SOS thread. I wonder if you sliced it thin it would work for SOS.

Comment

Rueben quesadillas!, Egg bake/omelet, crumble into biscuit mix, or any of the above

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here