Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Packer Brisket smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Packer Brisket smoke

I’m smoking my first prime packer brisket this Labor Day weekend and need all the help I can get! First off, I will have between 8 to 12 people to feed. My brisket is 11.5 lbs frozen. Is that enough or do I need to maybe do a pork butt or some ribs as well? Second, what is your favorite rub and technique for brisket? I liked Meatheads Big Bad Beef rub on the flat I did on my COS a while back but I’m not sure if all my guests are into that much pepper. I have a ReqTeq Bull (sucks they had to change their name) so I’m fine in the equipment department. Anything else I’m not thinking of?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

That's almost 5 pounds of cooked meat. Just cut back 1/3 on the pepper.

Comment

Oak ridge BBQ "Black Ops" brisket rub is killer! Don’t tell anybody 😀

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! +1

• jtyoder
        jtyoder commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that it says straight out that it’s gluten free and no MSG. That’s a must for my wife. I just get a little worried when something says things like "spicy" or "heat" because I have guests that can’t handle much of that either. Makes it tough cuz I DO like it! 😜

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey! Hey! What's the very last thing we said at the secret brisket club meeting?!? Don't tell any more people about Black Ops! :-)

I like to plan on about 1/2 lb a person. Some will eat more and some will eat less. Having some ribs as a side meat is always a good idea as well. They are pretty easy to make and everyone loves a rib or two.

I love Black Ops from Oak Ridge BBQ. Also Cash Cow from Big Poppa Smokers. If you want to make your own, which I do from time to time, I go with 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Then I will add some granulated garlic and granulated onion to the mix.

Make sure to trim that brisket down. I like to leave about. 1/4 inch of fat on the cap. If you leave too much fat on the surface, people tend to take it off and then they lose that awesome bark, seasoning and smoke you worked so hard for. You want them to have a little band of fat to ensure that the bite is rich and flavorful but too much fat can be off putting to some.

Good luck! You got this! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Try Jerod's Trifecta rub. It has replaced Black Ops as my brisket rub.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...who-s-counting

Comment

Read this post which might help with some details and timing. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Everytime someone points at this post, I get happy all over again that people find it useful!

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            I have it bookmarked just for questions like this.🙂

You all rock! My cook turned out fantastic and there was nothing left but full bellies by the end of the meal! I threw together some of Jerod's Trifecta rib with one alteration. To minimize the heat I swapped ancho chili powder for the chipotle. Still outstanding flavor! I wrapped it in butcher paper at 6 hours and once the point hit 203 (flat was at 207) I pulled it and held it in a faux cambro for a few hours before serving. Unbelievably tender! Can't wait for the next one!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some chili powder!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here